Monday, August 22, 2011

sleep

When Dani was a newborn baby, and really for the first year of her life if anyone asked me how she was doing, or how I was doing for that matter, I would tell them how many times she had gotten up the night before.  I was obsessed with sleep, or the lack there of.  She got up many times a night for the first 15 months or so, then she only got up a couple times a  night for a long while.  I was tired.  One day I went somewhere, don't remember where (I was tired) and got back into the car to go back home, Dani was all strapped into her car seat and we started driving.  I came to a stop sign and stopped, I guess a little abruptly, and her seat scooted forward and bumped into the seat back in front of her.  I was mortified.  She didn't even cry, but I did.  I was so tired I didn't even realize I didn't buckle her in.  Sleep was the only thing on my brain.  Funny. 
Sierra and Jenna slept better, they got up but  not as much, or maybe I was more used to it.  Idk.  Hannah was definitely an awful sleeper and by the time we had Bub I just plopped him in bed and was an all night buffet...but I slept.  It was so great!! 

I remember all that as I report that last night no one came in our room and nothing itched and I slept great.:)  Now it's not such a big deal, in fact we are in the golden years when the teens all live in dorms and I don't have to wait for them to come home in the wee small hours of the morning, and the littles all are big enough to get up in the morning and turn on some cartoons and eat some cereal.  Sleep and I are friends, we can nap, sleep in, go to bed.  Lovely.

This morning we went to a back to school breakfast, the 3rd annual (for us to attend anyway) and it was so fun.  We had a good time "practicing" getting up and out the door, and an even better time eating breakfast with friends and playing.  Around 11am we came home and E brought Eric with him.  They boys walked in the front door, made it about 3 steps when I announced "no electronics" , they froze in their steps and I could feel the disappointment, however they said nothing and headed upstairs.  Shortly thereafter began a 4 hour long lego fest.  They had a great time.  We went swimming for a bit then came home for more legos.  Eric left just as Ethan needed to go to soccer so it was a pretty good day.  They let Lu play with them all day and were very nice to her as well. 

My car died this weekend, we took it to the shop on Friday, got it back today.  $451. later it's working.  R's also had to go in, it's had a wobble since it got fixed, he needs new tires.  Nice.  We are not counting that as going to the store.  Today everyone survived the no store thing which is for some unexplainable reason a huge deal to the kids, even though nothing is even remotely different in their day and we still have milk.  Crazy kids. 

1 comment:

  1. I think it's funny that I have no one at home and yet don't sleep well AT ALL. Maybe all those years of being woke up have made it really hard now--don't really know.

    Sorry about the car repairs--I hate cars. I always think it would be better if we had horses, but then I'd probably have to shoot the horse ; (

    ReplyDelete