Monday, August 29, 2011

electricity withdrawl

Another day has come and gone with no electricity for us.  I've learned some things:

  1. I like lights
  2. It's a lot harder to cook and keep things clean without power than I thought it would be.
  3. Our house is really really dark at night.
  4. The stars at night are gorgeous with no city lights to block them.  We saw  the milky way last night.
  5. My children are really loud.
  6. We  need to buy a generator.
  7. Kids get upset even when they  are okay.
  8. No power means we have gotten to know our neighbors a lot better.
  9. Frogs and crickets are louder than generators when the night is still.
  10. My husband is very good in emergencies.  He has helped  a lot of people very happily these  last two days.
  11. For Christmas I might buy him his very own chainsaw, maybe he'll buy me some canned goods. We are  romantic that way.
  12. Cold  showers are no fun.
  13. I heart my smart phone.

4 comments:

  1. We own a generator and a chainsaw thanks to our Hurricane Hugo experience ; ) We were without power for 5 days and toilets wouldn't flush--so glad we had a little kiddie pool that was full of water in the backyard, we used that for flushing the toilets. So grateful we had huge drums of water for dishes, brushing teeth, drinking, etc.

    Hopefully you'll get your power on soon.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lived in western Washington State in the early 90's- and we had a major windstorm that knocked our power out for a week. Luckily it was winter- so the food in the fridge and freezer did okay- we do own a big generator- but to store fuel for it is trickier- we also had a tent heater that we used to keep one room warmer- we picked the smallest bedroom and we all slept in there. Thank goodness we are campers- we had cookstoves and propane canisters on hand as well. I think I better look into something that would work in a Utah deep freeze situation.- good luck and hope you get power back soon-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice I recently encounter your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my primary comment. I don’t know what toexposeexcept that I have enjoyed reading. Correct blog. I will keep visiting this blog very many. https://www.strømtest.no/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I merely would want to make a massive thumbs up for that wonderful information you could have here about this post. I am coming back to your blog site to get more soon. this content

    ReplyDelete