Monday, September 21, 2015

a saga involving a rodent, a girl and the worlds worst mom

Today Ethan and Rob were both home.  Flu and bad back respectively.  R worked from home, which was fine.  E mostly slept or read or did his homework.  I think he'll go back tomorrow.
I picked up Hannah from school and she had to go get a shot.  One we were missing.  That took awhile but we got it done.
She is also meeting with a counselor to get lined up for graduating this year.  So crazy.  I don't know how I feel about that.  Well I do actually I don't want her to go.  She is so fun and we have a great time together.  I will miss her so much and feel jipped out of a year with her at home.  On the other hand baby birds leave the nest and I want what's best for her.  I am not sure this is it but we're going to start down the path and see.

So the chinchilla.  Worlds worst pet.  It is SO messy.  I sweep chinch poop up every day from multiple rooms, Grace's bed room smells like the elephant habitat at the national zoo and even though she worked for 2 hours cleaning it last night I still had to go in today and clean another half hour.  I am pretty tolerant of messy build up, particularly in the kids rooms, but I can not abide this.  I feel bad because we couldn't move the gerbils or fish.  We loved the gerbs they were awesome pets.  The fish I was neutral on.  In Grace's mind I moved my pet and not hers.  She had us over a big guilt barrel and so I agreed to the chinch.  I had no idea the mess.  So we told her today that we had to return Peter and she could pick another more suitable pet.  I even gave her an extensive list with options on it.
She could get a beta, a hamster or a venus fly trap.
She would like a cat or a dog or an elephant or a rabbit or a ferret.  I thought leasing a horse would be a great idea.  She said not.  We went to the pet store to look at replacement pets while she spends a last couple days with Peter.  She thought a ball python might be awesome! or a finch! or a guinea pig.  I agreed but Rob did not.  Then we went to Target with nothing settled but a furious girl who pitched a fit, kicked my seat, cried in the aisle, asked for everything under the sun and informed me that I am the meanest mother in the world and that she will never forgive me.  To which I replied fine.

It was a great night.

I do love my dog but I don't want two.  Cats.  No I don't like them but I would get one if that was the only problem.  Val and Michael are both very allergic and I hope they will visit sometime. So no cats.  Also a lot of other people are allergic, cats are very divisive that way.  We like to have people over a lot.  So no cats.  I'm good with a snake.  R hates them.  I am good with a small rodent (but not a mouse or a rat)  Birds are messy too.  And they live a long time.  Frankly I'd be fine with an elephant under the right circumstances.  Life in the antelope valley is not the right place though.   Grace has a running list of injustices and times when I have been mean or unfair or unreasonable.  It'll save her a lot of time when she goes to therapy as an adult.  She can hand over the notebook and they can read through it together.

In other news Grace and Hannah both got parts in cats.  So awesome!

Also we got Age of Ultron. I can't decide if Thor or Captain America is my favorite avenger.  But I will give it some thought :)

1 comment:

  1. I love your dry wit and humor, Lana. You should tell Grace she is lucky to have you for a parent. I won't let any animals into my house! I miss your family. Give Hannah a big hug for me and tell her I wish I could come see her in the play. Also she needs to email me a Disney report (favorite rides, best food, etc.) :)

    ReplyDelete