Tuesday, October 4, 2016

tuesday

Tonight for young women we had a fun time.  This was our invite to the girls.  We talked about the tools God has given us to help us return to him.  Of course the atonement of the Savior is key, but there are things we need to do to grow and show our obedience to Him.  I had a pink ball and wrote different things on it and then we tossed it around and which ever word the person who caught the ball's right thumb was on was the one we did.  Each word had either a thought or an activity that went with it.
Audrey prepared a really cute little thought on prayer.  She read the story of the pioneer girl who found the pie on the trail in answer to prayer and she brought little mini pies for each of the girls.  She also did one on scripture study that was very nice.  I talked about a thoughtful service that was done for me and then we choose games to do for the ward Halloween party for the primary kids.  Another word was CTR.  We talked about choosing the right and then made shrinky dink CTR rings.

That was all the words we got too, the rings took a long time but everyone had fun so that's best.  I told them we'd do our other words another time.

Meanwhile the boys had a good activity too.  Years ago I would see the YM play basketball in the gym week after week. That is a weak activity and I was a little judgy in my heart about the effort that was put in to planning said activity.  Now I have a boy of my own and everything is different.  Last night they watched a conference talk by Pres. Monson and that listening was sandwiched by time spent in the gym throwing a ball at each other, at the basket, at the wall.  And they loved it. I have learned that a boy, a ball and an empty room/field/court/pitch/whatever is good for countless hours of entertainment.  Add more boys to the mix and you can go on indefinitely.   I know you have to be careful (as a ym leader) because not all boys love balls but mine does, and his friends do; so awesome.
I have been working on Tatum's dress for awhile.  I actually went and got a second pattern but at the end of the day there are things I don't like about it.  I am out of material and am not going to buy another pattern.  For no good rhyme or reason Penny's costume which was more complex but the pattern was easy to follow went together easily.  Tatum's did not.  Luckily it's just for trick or treating.

Ethan's friend Noah is staying with us for 10 days.  He came Sunday night.  It's been a lot of fun so far.  He's a great kid, easy going.  He and Ethan went to the park to kick the ball around between homework and dinner tonight.  Last night they played video games for a long time.  The next best thing to a brother of your own is one to borrow for a little while!

No comments:

Post a Comment