Thursday, February 25, 2016

books I read this week

 Hail to the Chef is the second book in the white house chef series.  It was a lot of fun to read.  Again the perfect combo of food talk, intrigue and a familiar and longed for setting.  Ollie is a great character, she is brave, a bit of a busy body (but not in a bad way) and patriotic.  A very fun read.
 Fannie Flagg has long been one of my favorite authors.  In this book "The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion" she tells a story that really drew me in.  It was about an older southern lady and her even older and VERY southern mother and the angst of their relationship. As well as the story of 4 sisters from Wisconsin who become WASP's during WWII.   Their lives have a surprising connection and Fannie (that's what I call her in my head) mingles the courage and struggles of living during the war and the charm of life in the south with the common life experience of trying to find out who we are, and what we can do for others, and how to make a difference in the world, that every person grapples with.  Loved it! Couldn't put it down.
This one was a dystopic novel, most of the population of the world is wiped out by a fast acting and deadly flu.  Now the survivors live without electricity, the Internet, antibiotics, borders, government or law.  It weaves together the stories of a small group of survivors with looks back at life "before" and life in the present.  It's sort of hopeless and depressing, although I kept reading because I was interested in how it all tied together.  Not something I'd normally read.  I got drawn in by the cover...I thought it was going to be about an expedition to Africa or somewhere with the cute tents lit up against the dark sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment