Sunday, September 18, 2016

sweet is the peace the gospel brings


who wore it best? LOL
I got a new dress, which I really like.  And then I was walking by the ironing board and saw that we matched! Crazy. I thought it was pretty funny.

Last week Rob and I got called in to visit with Pres. Silva.  I was released from my calling as a counselor in the stake YW presidency.  It was a huge surprise.  I haven't served very long but the Lord's timing is not always the same as ours. It was a good experience.  Our presidency was sort of a different one than most I have served in, we had more differences of opinion and some challenges that were surprising. I am most grateful for the time I spent with these good women and the things I learned from them, and the friendships we grew and fun we had.  

I was equally surprised when the next day we were called to meet with the Bishop and I was asked to be the new ward YW president. It is a calling I love but always feel ill equipped to handle. When I was a younger woman I thought by the time I was 50 (so I guess I have almost 2 years still to really become) I would have it all together.  I would be wise and kind and loving, generous and faithful and learned, I was be a mentor and a pillar of example and faith and virtue. I would be industrious and productive and patient, well read, soft spoken, multi lingual, insightful and have a servant heart.   On a really good day I am half of that, and there are not too many really good days.

Lately I have read a little about alchemy. It's come up here and there more than I have sought it out.  Alchemy is the process of turning something into gold. It is a long, tedious, exacting process that S.L.O.W.L.Y culls out all the impurities and imperfections until at the end you are left with gold.  Precious and pure and of great worth.  The Lord is the greatest alchemist around.  Only He works with people.  He refines us and changes us.  It's painful for us, and for Him I am sure. Why would He do that? Why would He bother? It's because He loves us and sees who/what we can become. As we serve we change.  As we face trails we change. As we learn we change.  Ever so slowly.  I am so grateful that despite the glaring flaws in my character, my behavior, my very thoughts He still takes the time to teach me and to guide me.  To trust me with responsibilities that are oh so precious and for which I am woefully inadequate.  I feel my Saviors love, His forgiveness and His grace as I serve and live each day.  What a tremendous blessing that is. What a gift. 

Another side blessing, something small but so sweet.  We have lived here a year and it's taken time but today I was hugged by friends.  Some were excited that I would now serve with their daughters.  Others sharing a vote of confidence.  Others just because. I know my sisters in the QH ward and I love them. It is a tender mercy and a joyful gift to be sisters in Zion.

And lastly today was the primary program, a favorite week of the year.  It went so well.  It was Grace's last and she sang sweetly and spoke clearly and looked pretty.  All the children did a darling job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment