Thursday, September 15, 2016

first world problems, or when I was a brat. I can't decide which title.

We have three cars in our family.  Today I drove all three.

Hannah got her license this summer.  We knew for a long time that the day was coming and we knew we needed wanted a third car.  We wanted her to be able to drive because a) it's convenient but also b) because we don't want to send her out into the world without some experience behind the wheel.
I wanted to get a junker car for her.  Rob wanted a new jeep.  We compromised somewhere in the middle, he got a jeep that was more than I wanted to spend but not nearly shiny and new like he'd have loved.

On Thursday's Rob works at the temple.  This is another blessing with complications.  We are so so blessed to live near a temple.  We are blessed to have a car, or three, that can drive back and forth 41 miles each way.  We are blessed to have the money to afford the gas.  We are blessed that Rob's job has enough flexibility that he can work extra on other days and get off a little early on Thursday so he can do a whole shift. We are blessed that our family is happy and healthy and can afford the stress of a parent out of the home.  I really count my blessings that I have a husband who is a worthy priesthood holder, who honors his covenants and sacrifices for his family and to serve the Lord.  That was the quality I wanted most in a husband.  That said, and most heartfeltly meant, it is a little hard to have a weekly commitment at the temple.  Hard for him, and hard for us.

So, he doesn't like to drive his jeep to the temple.  Understandably.  He also doesn't like the transfer of stuff from car to car that he has to do to drive little blue.
Hannah wants to drive every day and doesn't like to give up "her" car on Thursdays.  Somehow today we thought it would be easier if everyone drove their own cars and then I swapped them during the morning.  One thing that might make this appealing is if this meant that Hannah did the seminary drive.  BUT no, she did drive herself.  Like she has done all week.  I however got to drive Ethan and Noah and Collin because Noah's and Collin's dads both were out of town.  I am "happy" to take them.  I love to serve my friends really really I do.  At 5am it's a little hard to remember that. So she drove and I drove.
Then later in the morning I drove to the HS.  Waited for H's break and traded keys with her.  Then I drove little blue to the mall (that was a side stop for me) and left her the flex.  I did a little shopping (new white shirts for the hubs being the item that brought me to the mall) and waited to meet up with R.
Then I drove to Rob's work and traded keys again and drove the jeep home and left him little blue.  This was way more convenient than everyone leaving in their own cars in the morning.

When I met R he said oh BTW, bad news,  I am almost out of gas, you might want to fill up on the way home.  I did not.  I don't enjoy pumping gas, which is why I usually make E do it.  Furthermore I specifically made sure to have the blue car filled up the night before so R wouldn't have to do it. I also don't particularly enjoy driving the jeep and wanted to go straight home. I did tell him and it's not like he's on "E", but if I was nicer I would have stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment