Thursday, December 17, 2015

cold mornings

It is cold in the morning.  Nighttime in the desert is always cool, and in the winter it is cold cold.  When we leave for seminary it's been about 28-29 degrees.  It warms up a lot during the day and when it's not windy it's pleasant. Since we park in the garage now (best idea EVER) it's only 45 degrees in the car, which is nicer.  And no frost on the window.

We love our little wood burning stove.  It's cheery fire warms the main part of the house and makes it hard to get out the door in the morning for school. This cute girl didn't want to go yesterday. Today she didn't mind going but was slow as molasses getting out the door and made her brother late.  Normally we have a staggered departure schedule but yesterday Ethan's geometry teacher told the class they were done for the week and she wouldn't be marking absences if the kids didn't want to come.  Of course Ethan didn't, he may have regretted that choice when he was late to 1st period because of pokey pete though.
not too excited to go to school this morning
Hannah has finals the rest of the week so she's been getting out at 12:15.  Yesterday Sawyer came over.  Today she gets to clean her room (yay!) and tomorrow starts Christmas vacation and everyone has a half day!

On the way to tap yesterday Grace and I stopped at Gma Joyce's house to give her a box of chocolates and a card.  She gave us a loaf of home made bread.  It was warm and wrapped in foil and smelled so good.  Lu asked if she was allowed to unwrap it so I let her.  She was dually impressed with Gma Joyce's wrapping skills :) 
But then I had the bread sitting on the seat next to me.... and I was remembering all the wonderful things she's cooked in the past, and the fun holiday specialties she makes.  

And I ate some. One bite really.  Then I put it away in the back of the car and got out my project and spent the rest of the time doing that...and wondering if I just blew my whole diet. (doh) and I thought about that and thought about it until...
looks like a prison fight about to break out, but really these two tappers are friends



We were home and had dinner, and Ethan and Rob left for soccer practice (the first one of the all star season), and Hannah was off to the Mutual White Elephant party, and Grace was in bed with a book and then I decided yes, I would rather eat than be thin.  I don't care that I felt good all week, and had more energy and thought my face was a little bit thinner (if you looked at it just right in the bathroom mirror)
so on the way to pick up Hannah from mutual I drove through mcdonalds and got a meal and then sat in my car,  on a dark road, and ate it.  Okay I only ate half before I came to my senses and threw it away.  (but still) And I came home with a headache. 

So dumb. 

This morning I am back on the band wagon.  Also today it's been one week of my "new lifestyle" so I stepped on the scale and I've lost 8lbs, despite my total thief in the night hamburger incident & bite of Christmas bread. Phew!

Now the question is what to do about next week?  Specifically Christmas day.  Will it be a holiday with no treats for me?  Will I put it aside for one day and then pick it back up?   I'd rather think about something else than food all the time. But I don't. 

In other news we have tickets to see Star Wars tonight!  Opening night is tomorrow but it's playing all day today, don't know how that works but whatevs. And I've got a list of things to do before we leave for our holiday on Saturday! Lots of fun stuff coming up!!

2 comments:

  1. Two methods for regularly healthy eating that I know of advocate having a "vacation" day once a week. On that day you can eat junk. Generally what happens is that you feel so good the rest of the week that you don't want to overdo it, and when you do eat junk you end up feeling not well (like the headache you experienced - which goes to show you how bad the junk food it and how acclimated you had become to it). So on Christmas make sure there is plenty of healthy food to eat and allow yourself a reasonable amount of bad (because it is a holiday and holidays are supposed to include treats!), just be careful! And get a walk in during the day if you can. I have been really impressed by your analysis of triggers (previous post). Did you realize how much emotional eating you were doing? Keep it up! And remember the doctor's orders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way as you do. I just love to eat. I think there has to be a balance because this is not a lifestyle you can maintain. The only time I've ever been successful was on WW because it is slow and steady and allows you to still eat what you love, just on occasion though or at the sacrifice of your next meal. :) I have been stress eating the last few months and so I need to get on the bandwagon with you. I think for me it is discipline in portions and not eating when I'm not actually hungry. You are an inspiration, mostly because of your honesty. :)

    ReplyDelete