Monday, August 13, 2018

weekend

waiting after church
This morning was the first day of school.  We did a lot of back to school stuff this weekend.  Ethan wanted to get a haircut but he didn't come with us on the afternoon errands and they took longer than we expected so he didn't get one.  I think we did everything else.  We got school supplies, at least things they thought they'd need.  I suspect they will both come home with supplemental lists today.

Grace wanted a new outfit for the first day of school and we had to exchange her reeds since she got the wrong size last time.  Between still learning our way around, and some areas having a lot of traffic, and not everything being super close to each other (at least as far as we know) we were driving far and wide on Saturday.  

Sunday we went to church.  Rob and I both got new callings.  I am the activity day leader and Rob is a bear den leader.  We are both looking forward to starting and will be working with other leaders so we'll get to know people.  Our ward is very friendly and nice and we enjoyed visiting with more members.  Rob spoke and he did a good job.

Sunday night was the seminary kick off fireside.  We met Ethan's teacher, Bro. Cole.  He seems awesome and he also has a son named Ethan:)  Seminary is at the high school at 6:10.  This is really nice, the kids don't have to worry about getting to school after seminary.  At Ethan's high school there are about 50 kids enrolled in seminary.  I am excited that he will have such a large group of kids to meet with.

first day of school breakfast
This morning traffic was crazy going to the high school.  School starts at 7:15.  We left at 6:30 and he ended up hopping out of the car and running in before I even got to the parking lot.  Around 9 he texted that he just got his schedule and it looks pretty good.  He was hoping to take first aide and that was full but other than that I think he got what he wanted.

AP Calc B/C
US History, honors
AP Eng
AP Psych
Spanish 3, honors
Principles of biomedical
Physics 1, honors.

I am anxious to pick him up and hear how the day went.  Hopefully he'll have someone to sit with at lunch, and hopefully his teachers are awesome.  And hopefully he doesn't get too lost:)

8th grade! What?!?!
When I got home Grace was ready.  Her school doesn't start until 9:25 however so we went downstairs and had breakfast, then came up and sat around.  Finally at 8:10 she couldn't wait any more so we left.  We got to the school early but the parking lot was full and we had to park on the grass.  I went up with her and we waited around until they unlocked the gates and told the parents to go home.

She texted me her schedule too.
Geometry honors
physical science honors
concert band
chorus
adv US history
Lang Arts Adv
French 1

Looks like a good schedule.  I hope she likes her band teacher and makes many friends and learns lots and lots.  I can't believe next year she'll be in high school.  We've been doing the school thing for a long time (26th back to school morning for this mom) and it will be so strange to be done (in 5 years).

Ziva and I are alone for the day.  I had to save her this morning.  We were walking out to the grass for her morning walk and saw two small dogs and their owner walking towards us on their way back to the hotel. They were barking and lunging and looked sort of aggressive so I made an arch and walked out onto the grass to give them the sidewalk.  We crossed the parking lot and were just getting to the dog area when all of a sudden one of the dogs appeared out of nowhere and lunged at Z.  He tackled her and was bearing his teeth.  I scooped her up and held her above my head while the dog repeatedly jumped up on to me barking and trying to get Ziva.  The guy ran up, dragging the other barking dog, and said "he got out of his vest".  He tried to get him back but the dog was circling me, barking and jumping onto my chest or back depending on where he was.  Finally he tackled the dog and was holding him.  I said "got him?" and he said "yes, sorry".  So Z and I left.  
People like that give dog owners a bad name.  And I was glad I wasn't Val because she would have had a heart attack.  And I am glad Z wasn't hurt. Or me.  I would be much more mad if I was bitten.

update: both kids report that the day was good.  Ethan had to wait in the office for two hours before they had his schedule ready.  He has one class that he wants to switch out of but the rest he is happy with.    Ate lunch alone, wasn't upset about it.

Grace had her schedule right away but they haven't hired a science teacher yet.  Other than that she said she liked her classes and made lots of friends. 

The lines for dropping off and picking up were CRAZY!!! Like it literally took 6 hours of my day to drive them, wait in lines, and get them home.  Hopefully it's just the first day crazy.  Also they will be riding the bus when we are in our house so then it won't matter...for  me.  For them yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment