Sunday, July 23, 2017

Cove Fort

 We had a very nice, smooth, quick, drive today.  We even felt so good about it that we stopped at Cove Fort Historic Site, which we have driven by many times and wanted to stop and see but never did, and had a little visit.
 First of all I love historic sites.  They are interesting and charm me.  I love church history sites especially and love seeing the courage and obedience that came before us.  This was no different.
Brigham Young asked Ira Hinckley (Gordon B Hinckley's grandfather) to go and build a fort half way between Salt Lake City and St George.  It served several purposes, one as protection because Utah was in the middle of the Blackfoot wars, 2 as a relay station for the telegraph and 3 as a place for weary travelers to rest and get food.  At the time he was called he and his wife were happily living in Coalville and were the parents of 7 daughters.  They all moved and lived at the fort and ran it for the next 10 years.

 It was a very interesting visit and a nice break in our drive.  I really felt the spirit testify of the strong testimonies of those early settlers, stronger than the foundation of the fort itself.  I hope I am leaving such a legacy for my posterity.



No comments:

Post a Comment