Thursday, May 25, 2017

...meanwhile

The boys were at our house swimming.  Except Ethan and Noah, they were at soccer practice.  (the tournament team not the travel team or the AYSO team...soccer never ends)
 This is Tyler Higa and I love working with him.  He is an awesome YM president.  Sadly they are moving to Simi Valley next month.  His will leave big shoes to fill.  The boys love him a lot and really relate to him.
So back to soccer.  Last weekend was the big game(s) with the club team.  Super fun to watch and to play in.  Then we were so excited because they wanted Ethan to join.  This has never happened because we honor the Sabbath and give that day to the Lord.  We believe this means the whole day...not just an hour for services.  The coaches were so impressed with Ethan and said they really wanted him to play.

Fast forward to Monday night practice.  I take him out to the field and wait to talk to the coach and say "hey you want him here right?  Knowing we will not play on Sundays?" and he's like yes, yes we want him.

Then after practice Rob picks him up and the coach says, "Ethan's great! we love how he plays, we want him on the team...BUT we need you to compromise a little and play on Sundays sometimes and we need you to sign the contract that says you will put soccer first, above family activities, other sports, church activities or he can't play".   So Rob called me and we were heartbroken for our good boy who has so many talents.  Rob doesn't want to tell him about it alone and when they get home we talk to him together and tell him the bad news.  Which he takes really well. He says "I can't chose soccer over Sunday" and we move on.

The next day he tells me he is sad about it..of course.  This is really hard.  It has been hard for many years.  I feel like I run around wearing an "honor the Sabbath day cape" and keep running into obstacles over it.  I did not intend to be that cape wearer, it just happened as I am a raising and athlete and a man of God, those two things clash from time to time.

That said, I know this is what God wants.  I know that my boy will be blessed, I don't know how or when but I know it'll come.  Worshipping at the church of soccer is akin to worshipping false idols.  We can not do it and stand blameless before God at the last day.  So is it hard? Yes.  Is it right? Yes.  What other people choose to do is their business and I have no judgment about that but to quote Joshua "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord".   The thing that is sad for me is the great joy that they are missing out on.  "They" being people who chose the "world" over God.  They may have more fun from time to time, and in the short run, but they do not have peace and joy that comes with living the gospel. I'm so grateful that Ethan is not bitter or mad, that he obeys and does what is asked of him.  I worry about him, and all the children~ are we teaching them well?, do our short comings and mistakes blind them to the truth?, are they gaining a strong and firm testimony? but I also have great hope that they are doing what is right and are being blessed and will continue on in the paths of righteousness.
Amen.....stepping off the soapbox :)

4 comments:

  1. You probably don't even know me but I've followed your blog for years. I did contact you once about a craft tile you did and you graciously gave me instructions. I just needed to say Thank you! This is why I love reading your blog. It is encouraging to see other people put their faith first even when the world discourages it. Thank you for being a light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are such an amazing example to others. I love this! My girls have both dealt with missing out on birthday parties on Sundays. I know it'll only get more challenging as they get older, but I think as long as we are consistent, it may make it a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ethan is making the right choice. You are doing the right thing. I know some people that put soccer first. The player never went on a mission. Is not active. Soccer was not his career. All it did was teach him that there were more important things than honoring the Sabbath and holding the priesthood. That is all. I will get off my soapbox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing a lot right as a parent if Ethan made that choice on his own and knows he is doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete