Tuesday, September 4, 2012

true story

When we were expecting Ethan, and did not yet know we were having a little boy I thought we'd have another girl.  I had four daughters after all and I loved being a "girl family".  We went for our ultrasound and there found out it was a boy.  I was very surprised.  One of the first things I said was "oh no! now I have to do cub scouts!"  The nurse assured me that I did not, what she didn't know was that I, indeed, would have to.  Scouting is the church's official program for young men.  What I did not know was 1) how much I would love being a mom to a boy.  It's very different than being girl  mom, not better or worse, just different and I love it.  He is a delightful boy, so fun to be with and I think we have a close relationship.  He is considerate and even protective about his ol' mom and at 10 years old still a snuggler.  2) that I would like cub scouts.  I developed a real testimony of the importance of scouting and what a outstanding program it is when Jenna participated in the Venturing crew.  I love cubs.  More than my boy does.  He doesn't hate it certainly but it's not a priority for him at all.  We drag him through requirements, drag him to meetings, constantly search for uniform pieces.  It's all very tedious. 
In all fairness I search for all his everything all the time.  Cleats?  where are they?? homework?? don't know?  church tie on Sunday??  I try to train him to put stuff away.  I give him bags designated for events like a soccer bag, a church bag, a cub bag.  Nothing has helped...yet. 
So tomorrow is the rain gutter regatta.  Last night when he finally went to make his boat we couldn't find the wood.  Again.  For the third year in a row.  Like the last two years this year I told him "leave the wood in the box with all the pieces until you and dad have time to work on it"  "PLEASE".  Like the last two years he did not heed this good counsel, and now I am searching for it the day before the regatta.  IF I find it it will be a stressful night as he and Dad have soccer, I have a meeting, Lu will be at Brownies and when they all get home it will be lateish (8) and Dad will have to put a little girl to bed, then work on a boat.  If I don't find it Wednesday night will be sad when we go and he is in the only cub not racing a boat. 

update:  so I found the boat.  I searched for almost 2 hours.  I looked in the linen closet, in the drawers, in the basement, in the cupboards, in the couches, everywhere I could think of.  Where did I find it? Sitting on the table under a Friend magazine in the living room.  Why didn't I look there first? because both the boy and his dad, the two world's worst lookers said they looked so I thought I should start in hard places.  Ridiculous.  Anyway, now he can get ready for the regatta. 

What did I do today?  I spent two hours + getting the oil changed (annoying), went grocery shopping, did 3 loads of laundry, spent a long time looking for the boat, drove 4 kids to school and soon I will pick 4 up.  Then we will have piano lessons and the rest of our evening activities. 

Laura, who I love, came over to return a dish (filled with yummy cupcakes) and I told her I was searching for our wood, she made me feel good because she didn't even know it was tomorrow :)  That is why we are friends!



1 comment:

  1. Boys are so different than girls. (Frankly, the thing I love most is that boys aren't as emotional ; )

    And I think the "already looked there" is a guy thing. I laugh when I think how often I hear "where is (this or that) in the refrigerator" and I open it and it's staring me in the face ; )

    Glad you found the wood and all was well. As always, how in the world do you get everything done--YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete