Monday, January 30, 2017

Sabbath day

What a delight the Sabbath is to me. It's my favorite day of the week.  We had very nice talks today in sacrament meeting.  Tara Creel spoke on one of my favorite verses and then later in the afternoon my friend Ramona made and posted this beautiful graphic.  How sweet it is that we can know our Savior, that we can be his disciples.  What a blessing to raise our children with that knowledge. 

It's was a 5th Sunday, which happens several times a year, and so that meant we met with the YM. during the 3rd hour.   Bro Higa taught the lesson and he did a great job.  I enjoy working with him a lot and Ethan likes him a lot so that is all I would need from him anyway.  Having YM leaders that the boys like and relate to his huge! Add to that that they are good examples and kind of crazy and bonus!!

It's been so nice having Papa and Grandma here.  We've had a lot of time together.  This afternoon Papa and Rob went hill walking.  This is a new hobby Papa invented on Friday.  He parks his car by the foothills, hops out and begins to walk.  That Papa is now and always has been a little mountain goat!  Side note this grandson is happy to be almost as tall as Papa!

We grilled some burgers for dinner.  Watched a little Star Trek.  Read the scriptures together.  Daisy and Kyle and baby Sydney came to visit. Hannah went to Sam's to work on a psychology project.  Grace cried about wanting a mouse...all.day.long.

When I was pregnant with Ethan I thought we would have a 5th daughter.  It honestly never occurred to me that we might have a boy.  Rob really, really wanted a boy and thought that we would have one.   One January day, that the girls happened to have off from school, we all went downtown to have an ultrasound done.  It just happened to work out that it was on a school day off and our plan was to go to the doctor in the morning, and then go to the zoo and spend the afternoon.  There we were, all piled into the dark ultrasound room at my obstetricians office and I was laying on the table, goo on belly, head turned to the monitor.  The girls and dad were crowded around, everyone oohhing and ahhing over the little string of pearls that was his spine, the cute little leg bones, his darling homer simson profile and then the tech (who happened to be the doctor's wife) announced "IT"S A BOY!!!"
The room erupted in cheers! Even the tech; and me... I was stunned.  The first thing I said was "now I have to do cub scouts!", with a little dismay.  The tech assured me that I didn't, not all boys do cub scouts she said.  "But we are Mormon" was my still shocked reply.  I am sure she thought I was nuts.  

Anyway we went to the zoo. Had a great day! And my excitement soon matched the rest of the family's.   With that auspicious beginning in mind when he was just a toddler it was no surprise that I began saving his jersey's, cub scout day camp shirts, and other important tee shirts.  I knew that one day I would be making an Eagle Scout blanket.  

Well now we are close.  He has his project left and I anticipate that he'll be an Eagle by his birthday.  With mom here this week I decided it was the perfect time to pull out the shirts and piece the top of the quilt.  It's so much more fun to work with someone else!  We worked on it on and off through out the week and yesterday finished.  I think it looks awesome!  I wish mom was going to be here for the rest of the project but I am super happy we got to do the top together!

And cub scouts?  I love it.  It's a wonderful program.  I was serving in YW the whole time E was a cub (which is my fav) so I never was called to be in cubs with him...which was a little dissappointing in the end.  I would have enjoyed it.  I did go to day camp every year as a cub walker, and helped at home with all things scouting. It's been awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment