Tuesday, January 17, 2017

long day


I subbed 6th grade today.  I was looking forward to it because days in the older grades are usually pretty good days. but this one wasn't.  The kids were pretty chatty and disrespectful.  This is a huge issue I see in pre teens and teens, sometimes even younger; they value "diss-ing" and "roasting" and incompetence.  They think it's funny to not know things and to be mean and bully.  Not all to an extreme degree but many kids.  It's super frustrating and annoying.  This class was replete with little miscreants that were busy impressing each other with their posturing and stupidity.  What was even worse was the blatant racism I ran into, primarily between African American kids calling each other names.  When I told them it would not be tolerated one little girl said it was okay because it was her race.  I said that it was never okay, to which she indignantly replied that she was going to tell her teacher on me the next day for not letting her be herself.  I told her to go ahead, that I would also be telling her teacher. Sheesh!  Honestly it was a long day and I was surprised at the language they used and the what they thought was okay, I haven't run into that quite this bad before.

After school I had to stop by the HS and fill out forms so E can be on the tennis team. Then I picked up Lu from robotics and took her to audition for the Antelope Valley Children's Choir, which she made!  Then back to the HS to pick up E from tennis try-outs.  Then back to the choir for the parent meeting. Then finally home where Hannah was making a delicious dinner.  Thai basil chicken.  It was so yummy!!

Grace finished her project.  It looks great. Dinner was great and it's my favorite night of TV (NCIS is on and it's a new one) so even a bad day can end well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment