Tuesday, November 10, 2015

DMV

 These are random pictures of Grace at school.  She has a really good teacher and it's turned out to be okay.  She gets 100% on everything, which says to me she is not very challenged, but she never complains and likes to go so good enough.   Anyway...

Today was the dreaded DMV day.  I did everything I could to make sure it went well and it did.  I made an appointment.  I read the website very carefully and gathered everything it said I would need.  I got a good nights sleep, ate breakfast and left in plenty of time.  In fact I got there 10 minutes early, with everything in my folder.  I also went with the expectation that it would a) take a long time and b) the websites information would be incomplete.  Also I went alone.  This is key.  If I had been there with a toddler, or baby or teenager it would have been awful.

So I got in the line for people with an appointment. Talked to 2 people about what I had and what I needed to do and got my number.  I then sat down and filled out paper work and waited.  Soon it was my turn.  I waited in another line, met with the license person, gave her my paper work and we had a nice chat while she processed me.  Then I got to get in line for my picture, followed by a line to take the test, followed by a line to give my test results to the worker.  Followed by a line to make another appointment because I needed a smog test, even though the website said cars less than 4 years old didn't need one.  What it didn't say was that out of state cars, no matter the age, do.  (But I was expecting something so there it was)
I drove across the street and waited for the smog test, then drove back across the street and got in line to turn in the paper work.  I was told to move my car to a designated place and then come back and wait in line.  Which I did.  All was paid and all the boxes checked and signatures looked at then I got to go outside and wait with my car for the inspection of the vin number.  Then I came in and waited to turn in the papers, then waited for the plates, then went outside and swapped the plates and came back and waited in the turn your plates in line.
2 and a half hours (not counting the 10 minutes that I was there early because that would be exaggerating) and $350 (ish) later my car and I are both licensed in the state of CA.   And, sadly, I considered that a smooth transaction.  The weather was nice, not too hot, not too cold.  The workers were mostly friendly, there were many interesting people to watch while I was there and the crying baby/eye rolling teen/complaining companion did not belong to me.

Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment