Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Not sure what to call this one

 Today I was supposed to work the gangway. This is a very easy job where you stand by the ship and make sure everyone is safe, per Coast Guard regulations. While I was driving to work I got a phone call asking if I could give a tour instead. I actually was kind of looking forward to staying by the water all day, but being a team player, I said sure no problem.   Then I got my group. It was the most difficult group I've had to date. It ended up fine and I didn't have a horrible day but they weren't the easy, delighted with all they saw, fun to be with group that I am used to. They were from a Hebrew school in Montgomery county. So when I got my paperwork and noticed that I very diligently traded out my pig ear for a cow ear. I looked up the name of the Jewish doctor that was in the colonies at that time, so I could talk about him. And I was ready to go. You would think with my careful preparations I would not have made the big faux pas that I did. When we are talking about life at sea I have a volunteer sit next to me and one of the things that the volunteer does is look through a bowl of food items that would typically have been eaten on the journey from England. The first item little Hadasa picked up was a salted pork chop. Uh oh. She said is it a piece of bread? I said no it is a piece of salted meat. To which she responded by shrieking and dropping the bowl and saying she is a vegetarian. She then proceeded to sanitize herself with her hand sanitizer.....and I luckily never had to say that it was pork.
We all survived the day. The children said that they had a fun time. So all's well that ends well.
Tonight we had a Girl Scout interest night at our community clubhouse. I can't believe that it's been a whole year since I signed up to be a Girl Scout leader. It's been so much more fun than I expected. Teresa is an awesome coleader and she really takes care of everything I don't want to do. She tracks all the finances, she does all of the registrations, she gets all the permission slip is in order. I do all the lesson planning and lead the weekly meetings with her there for backup. It's fun for me because there is so much flexibility compared to running youth programs at church. At church, of course, the Lord prescribes how everything goes. I am totally great with this, I love the programs of the church, I have a testimony of how much they help our young people and I am delighted to be a part of that. In Girl Scouts we do not have all of the same constraints and we can do more things that are just fun. At the same time it is a character building moral-based program and I love that. We are looking forward to a new year and have lots of fun things planned! Before our interest meeting we went down the street to Madison's home and brought her a going away present from the girls. She is moving to Spain with her family and while we will miss her I envy her the fun new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment