Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Bridges


We had such a lovely day.  R took a vacation day and we went to the temple.  Rachel, who is going on a mission in a few weeks, went for the first time and it was wonderful to be there with her. We went a bit early as Rob was invited to meet with the Temple President.  He has the opportunity to serve in the temple and we are very grateful.  It was a very sweet day as we participated in many ordinances and enjoyed worshipping with friends.  In my bridging theme today I could not help but think of the wonderful, miraculous bridge the temple ordinances make between our lives here on earth and our eternal life in the world to come.  It bridges the gap that death makes between us and our loved ones, and it bridges the much larger gap between us and our Heavenly Father.  There is such peace and joy there.

From time to time I cringe at my foibles, the things that carelessly come out of my mouth, the tasks I forget to do, the people I don't help lift, the times I am selfish or proud.  Sometimes I more than cringe, I wish to bury my head in my bed and never see people again...or to move....or...
but in the temple all that disappears as I feel the Saviors love.  It is tangible and lifts me up. Yesterday Rob and I were watching a BYU Devotional given by Brad Wilcox, he spoke of his understanding of the judgement and how it evolved over the years of his life.  He said once he felt like he would approach the judgement seat and there would be the Savior, with a clip board in hand and there would be Brad with a worried look on his face.  Jesus would sadly shake his head and say "Oh Brad, you missed it by 2 points" and then Brad would beg and plead, please look again, reread the essay question, find 2 more points somehow.  Of course that was a light hearted explanation of how it might be.  But as he's studied the Savior's character and has grown to know Him better he now thinks that instead it will be He, our Lord and King, that will be begging us "please come in to my kingdom, please accept the gift of the atonement."  His great love is extended to each of us and nowhere do you feel that more than with in the sacred walls of the temple.

After we were done I was sitting and waiting for Rob (I always change faster) and I picked up the Bible sitting near me and opened to a beautiful psalms that was a balm to my heart.  I am going to memorize it and let it remind me, like a good friend.

Psalms 131
Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.
 Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child.
 Let Israel hope in the Lord from henceforth and for ever.
When we got home we got ready for Grace's bridging ceremony.  It is the end of the girl scout year and she is moving from Brownies to Juniors.  It was a fun night.  I really love the girl scouting program and the strength it gives to girls and the qualities it helps them find in themselves as they camp, and play, serve, and work together.
I am looking forward to leading her Junior group, along with Teresa (Samantha's mom) next fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment