Thursday, May 15, 2014

18 more days...


Grace could not take the bad news this morning that we still had more days of school left.
One might wonder what I do all day with my kids in school.  I wonder myself sometimes.  It's a weird and wonderful time of life.  Today was a typical day.  We got up at 5:30 and by the time everyone was out of the door it was 8am.  During which time I hurried children along, drove Hannah to seminary because she wasn't ready when the carpool came, made some lunches, made some pancakes and unloaded the dishwasher.

When they were all out the door I sat down to watch Modern Family, (funny and inappropriate and if I was a better person I wouldn't watch it, for the record).  Then the dogs and I went to meet Jodie and Rachel and Jack for a walk.  We walked down the hill to check out the new houses and catch up with each other. 

When I got home I threw in a load of laundry and cleaned the kitchen and sent some emails regarding camp, and our upcoming assignment to feed dinner to the men of the stake between meetings.  Then I  got on my swim suit and headed to the college pool (third time this week!) for some aquatic exercise. I really like it except today I was distracted because 2 minutes in I had to pee.  But I didn't want to crawl out and drip into the bathroom so I just waited.  It was my least favorite day this week so tomorrow I'm stopping in the stall even if I don't have to go. 

Then I came home and took the dogs out, took a shower, and ate lunch.  After that I headed to the basement to try to fix my sewing machine, that the girls broke a couple of weeks ago.  I have tried a few times with no luck and had decided to take it apart.  This is very scary because I am not mechanically inclined but there was a sewing miracle. It came apart, and got put back together, and then it worked.  I don't know why but I was glad.  I sewed Ethan's patches on his scout shirt and went to work on a quilt I am making for Grace's brownie leader.  It's almost done and looks pretty cute, in a homemade by a kindergartener kind of way.  I'll probably have Grace help a little so I can say we made it together and it won't seem so lame. 

Ethan came home, he got a snack.  Grace came home, she went to the park.  

I made dinner so the boy could eat before soccer.  It was very disgusting.  I made corn, watermelon, smoothies  and hamburgers.  Ethan didn't want to eat it because I made bubba burgers instead of homemade.  Then Ethan looked for his soccer stuff, couldn't find it.  Grace came home and she ate.

We went to pick up Hannah from play practice.  She wasn't ready so we went back home.  Ethan and I made a batch of cookies, worked on some ideas for his homework and walked the dogs.  Then I went back to get Hannah.  This time she was ready.  On the way home she told me she needs 2 dozen cupcakes for tomorrow and would I please bring dinner to the school tomorrow at 4 because she will be gone from 6am to 9pm.  I said yes to the dinner and told her there was  cake mix in the pantry.

We got home and she said she was starving.  She's been a vegetarian for a little over a week. This is hugely inconvenient for me.  So burgers were out.  I offered to make her beans and rice (with a side of watermelon and corn) .  Nope.  Pasta salad.  Gross.  Tuna salad or sandwich, no way. Potato soup. Uh uh.   Fish and sweet potato fries.  Strike 3.  So I left her to find her own food, which she grumbled about.   And she was mad because somewhere during the time we drove home from school she decided she wanted to bring chocolate chip cookies and not cupcakes and we are out of chocolate chips. 

Now Grace is in the bath and when she gets out I will braid her hair, then we'll call the others for scriptures and prayers and she will go to bed.
Ethan is watching Star Wars Clone Wars and Hannah is reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" and eating scrambled eggs (and the cookies we made earlier). 



Riding bikes after school is always fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment