Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Happy Birthday Papa!!!


Papa and Bub this summer
Today is Dad's birthday.  I am pretty sure he is doing exactly what he wants to be doing with his day, which is serving the Lord.  One time Jenna told me that her favorite birthday tradition is when I write a list about the birthday person so I thought it would be fun to make a Papa list.  Some of them are stories I have heard about, others are things I know first hand.
Papa when he was in the Army
1. Papa was born in war torn France.
2. His family was very poor, like so poor that when we all visited his home he exclaimed "oh they have made some improvements" as I looked around at the dirt floor, dark walls, small "house" with a wire hanging down in the middle of the room with a lightbulb on it I remember thinking "oh boy".  The lightbulb was the improvement. 
3. That trip to France, the summer of my 6th grade year, had a big impact on me.  For one thing I used to complain about walking to school  (I guess,  I don't remember complaining) but after our walk to his house I said "I will never complain about walking again" and I have not. 
4. Dad loves family history work.  He spent hours on that trip gathering information for his family, being literally a saviour on mount zion for his dearly departed. I have often heard of his anguish at all the names he could not find, and the pile of paperwork on the stone floor in the church where it sat decomposing, possibly to be lost forever. 
5. When Dad was a boy he had a toy.  A little bus, which he would put on the ground and put a finger on and then drive around making tracks and giving him much joy.
6. A better toy by far was his imagination.  Like all little boys he had a talent for mischief. One time constructing "wings" from turkey feathers and trying to fly from the top of the barn, another time exploding frogs with his brother, etc. 
9. When Dad was a school boy his teacher would take him and the class outside where they would sing songs, a favorite of Dad's was "the trout" by Shubert.  Which Anna and I learned how to play as a very delightful duet.
10. Dad loves hamburgers (like Clayton)
11. When he was still a child he was apprenticed to a house painter where he learned a trade and helped his family.
12. Dad decided as a young man to leave for the United States and to make an new life for himself.
13. Not speaking English and with a pocket book filled much more with courage than cash he set off for San Fransisco.
14. One of his first jobs in the US was to dig graves ( a lot of fun I expect ).  
15. During Vietnam he enlisted in the Army and was stationed in Alaska.
16. He learned English and went to school, eventually earning a Masters Degree .
17. He then moved his family to southern California and spent his career teaching high school and community college.
18. Dad met mom when he lost a coin toss, or something close to that.  He and a buddy wanted to go dancing.  Dad wanted to go to the Irish center (he's always had a thing for those Irish ;) and his friend wanted to go to the Russian center, so they tossed a coin, dad lost, and off he went to meet the love of his life.  I hope he thanked that good friend.
19. Dad is smart.  Really smart.
20. He is kind, really kind.
21. Dad wanted 1 child…maybe 2.  Mom wanted 12.  They compromised at 8.  Dad is good at compromise.
22. Dad wanted to serve many missions, like 12.  Mom wanted to stay home and be a grandma (def the best part).  They are now on mission #2, mom's pretty good at compromise too.
23. His favorite color is red.
24. He likes sweets.
25. Dad is a good cook,
26. he always helped with chores at home when I was growing up.
27. He makes delicious beef stroganoff, as well as not so delicious "leprosy chicken".
28. I don't think I've ever seen him make a dessert.
29. But I do remember him buying them.
30. Dad likes orange wedge candy.
31. He has had several pet fish that he trained to follow his finger.
32. He likes to sing and whistle and play the accordion and harmonica.
33. Dad has good balance.
34. While not really an outdoorsman he spent many an afternoon sitting by the side of some body of water watching my brother fish.
35. While not really a camper he took our family camping ever summer which we LOVED, and took the boys on the fathers/sons outting camping EVERY year, which they LOVED.
36. While not really a shopper he will stand patiently in any store holding your jacket, or reading the magazines if you are in Wal-mart while his family shops.
37. He would do anything for his family.
38. When I was growing up he'd sometimes take just me to McDonald's for a big mac.
39.  For FHE treat we often would go to Thrifty (a drug store) for ice cream cones.  We loved that!
40. Dad has gone to the temple at least every month for as long as I have known him, and since living in Utah has gone sometimes more than once a day.
41. Everyone says he has an accent, but I don't hear it. Nor do my sibs.
42. There are 7 of us and each is sure we are his favorite child, I, of course, am right.
43. Dad was my bishop when I was a teenager.  Worst day of my life was confessing my sins to him.  He was super kind and loved me anyway.
44. Dad was a stake patriarch and has given Dani, Sierra and Jenna their blessing.  I am looking forward to the next three receiving their blessings from him.
45. He speaks 5 + languages.
46. He is in great shape and I am sure that saved his life when he had bypass surgery.
47. When we were small he would take us walking around San Francisco and especially Golden Gate park for hours.
48. He is a great missionary.
49. I often quote him or tell stories about him in talks I give, as if he were a general authority, which I always say.  He's the best man I know.
50. He likes to floss his teeth.
51. He never yelled at me, ever.  Although I got a couple spankings.  Notably one when we were driving to SF and (this was in the era before mandatory seat belts) Alec and I were laying in the back of the bus and playing "lets see who can punch each other in the stomach hardest with out crying" (clearly a great game that nice children play) and I punched him and he bawled and I got spanked.  So not fair.
Another time I used my hand instead of a napkin, gross but still.
52. When we were kids and we'd get mad at him because he was so lecturey and good we'd call him "Lehi" as in "you're just like Lehi STOMP STOMP STOMP". This probably did not bother him.
53. He has a bad back.
54. He likes dogs.
55. If you take him to a museum he will want to read every word on every plaque.
56. He is not quick to the point, and you must never ask him to bless the food on fast Sunday.  In fact this past week during a meeting Bub asked me how long the speaker was going to be and I said "oh short", then he said short like you and papa or real person short?
57. This did not bother me as I consider it the highest compliment to be compared to him in any way.
58. …and I am actually not that long winded. (ahem)
59. He loves FogHorn LegHorn.
60. If cartoons are on he will stop what he is doing and watch.
61. He loves science fiction.
62. I watched Star Trek with him from the time I was a wee babe.
63. He loves science.
64. He loves to learn and know things.
65. Every night while I was growing up he came to my room to kiss me good night and sing me a song.
66. Every morning in high school he woke me up for seminary.
67. I knew seminary was not optional.
68. Dad baptized me when I was 8.
69. I remember kneeling by the font and watching him and mom get baptized when I was 5.
70. This changed our families lives forever.
71. on my bucket list is traveling to Israel with him.  May not happen but I would love it.
72. Dad is a poet.

how old are you dad??  70 something, lets call it 75, I could be wrong, for the record this is not an indicator of lack of love I don't remember how old I am either, or how much most of my babies weighed when they were born (I have to make it up when they ask) or to buy milk when I go to the store for milk and get distracted by the shiny Christmas decorations.

73. Dad is a 100%er in home teaching.
74. Dad has read the scriptures more times than I can count.
75. He is THE BEST!  Love you dad, happy birthday!

update: he is 74!! But my list still works!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful list. Your dad sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday John! I love this tradition and I love your Dad. What an incredible man. Thank you for sharing Lana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! Loved your whole list, but 51 was my favorite. (: happy birthday to papa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad is an amazing guy. You are a lucky daughter! Happy Birthday Frere Ahrets!

    ReplyDelete