Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"snow" day

random picture of Jenna
I should have had a couple more children.  Sometimes I miss babies and toddlers.  It's such a magical time in life.  I miss the days when going to the McDonalds play place was a huge treat :), the days when we sat on the couch with a pile of books and read and read and read, the swish of a diaper clad bum running through the house.  Last week we were at the canoe store and they had some baby rugged wear for sale.  I was flipping through the rack and saw a little pair of overalls with a shirt and I just remembered a small boy running around and being grabbed by the little "handle" on the back of his overalls and scooped up :) 

We have a snow day today, sans the snow.  So ridiculous.  It's MSA testing time at school and such a hulabaloo you have never seen.  The schedules are complex, the walls are covered with paper so no clue may be given to a kid whose eyes sweep the room between questions, subs are called in, lunch times disturbed, kids and teachers are stressed.  Yesterday everyone was worried about the storm and the possible disruption to the test schedule.  It came...we are home.  I am getting lots of laundry done, which I like, but the disruption is probably not worth it.  Grace has an appointment with the allergist this afternoon.  I am not sure how it will go, I am pretty sure a big bribe is going to be in order for her lay still and get poked.  (grimace).  John is coming over to play with Ethan, Hannah is locked in her room commanded to find the carpet.  (that girl~ head shaking)
girls at the rescue squad
 Last night was Brownies.  We met at the Volunteer Rescue Squad and the girls learned all about emergency safety.  They had a wonderful time.  I am amazed, and have been since the minute we moved here that both our fire department and our rescue squad, including the paramedics are all volunteers.  These are good people who really want to contribute to the community.  They work on average 4 or 5 shifts a month and drill together every Tuesday night.  I would love to be involved in something like that, it seems like such a good thing to do.  There are so many good people in the world, doing so many good things, it's really heart warming. 
Lu and Delaney in the ambulance
Monday night we had the missionaries over for dinner, and another family.  The missionaries taught a discussion to the dad, who is not a member.  I was looking forward to the evening, I am not a good missionary by any definition but I do love the gospel and want to share if someone is interested.  Our evening was very nice, dinner was good, they have a disabled daughter who is in a wheelchair and the kids were so sweet and good with her.  The played with her and read to her, Grace sat by her at dinner and chatted up a storm the whole time.  I am really happy that they have always been good with old people, babies, disabled people, weird people ;)  Whatever.  They have good hearts,  I need to really remember that when rooms are messy, or squabbles happen or when, like last night, R and I leave the house for an hour (literally) at 8pm after kids are settled for the night and Lu is in bed and we come home to find Lu up, the kitchen a mess(which was clean when we left) and that Hannah and Ethan have had a water gun fight in the house.  Anyway the lesson didn't go nearly the way we had hoped and I feel really badly about that.    I always want everyone to be happy and comfortable and everything to be positive and good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment