Saturday, March 30, 2013

Happiness

The Book of Mormon, I read in Mosiah chapter 2 verse 41:
 And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and ahappy state of those that
keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are bblessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out cfaithful to the end they are received into dheaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.

Everyone wants to be happy.  Seems like most people go about it the wrong way.  My little chili dishes (that's what Hannah likes to call children) definitely go about it the wrong way.  They think doing what they want, having what they want, not working, that's the formula for happiness.  They are wrong.  This week has been spring break.  It was a very different spring break than I had imagined.  Once upon on a time the plan was to be in Utah celebrating Jenna and Clayton's wedding and being with our family.  That plan changed as they decided to take a little bit more time before tying the knot.  Then we thought we'd go to Montreal and visit Papa and Grandma for a few days.  That plan changed with the sequestration mess, R needing to be at work and us not wanting to spend the $ right now.  Both of those trips are still up coming but they were not this week.  Our third plan was to have a fun staycation and do things with friends.  Then the terrible cold hit (weather wise and me being sick wise).  I was sick all week.  There were some days this week when I couldn't get out of bed for more than a very short time.  I am still not 100% but it's getting better.  Even though I have tried to do a few things the children have been left pretty  much to their own devices.  Did they cheerfully step up and sing a happy little working song, keeping the house sparkly and themselves entertained?  Nope.  They watched TV, ate crackers, made messes, had a few fights and were not happy.  Happy would have been the other.  I know this.  When we do what's right, help others and are kind we are happy.  When we lay around doing nothing we are sluggish and sad. People need to be anxiously engaged in a good cause to be happy.

Last night I was reading in the Doctrine and Covenants in section 88 as part of my personal readings.  This morning Hannah was mad that we had the audacity to wake her up at 10am.  She wanted to sleep more.  So I shared with her some of the good council I had read the night before.
124 Cease to be aidle; cease to be bunclean; cease to cfind fault one with another; cease to dsleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be einvigorated.
She was not happy to hear this.  There is lots of great wisdom in this section, as there is in all the scriptures.  I am grateful for scriptures and living Prophets to teach us the things we need to know to be happy.  To give us the tools we need to return to our Heavenly Father once more.  To be eternal families. 
Our world is a mess, people are seeking happiness in all the wrong places, Wickedness is running rampant and it is very troublesome to me.  I see such a blatant disregard for keeping Father's commandments.  It can be very overwhelming.  I wish everyone would seek the peace the gospel brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment