Sunday, April 8, 2018

How smoothly do things have to go before we are grateful?

Not very. Gratitude and joy have very little to do with external circumstances and everything to do with our faith in Heavenly Father’s plan and in His great love for His children. 
Cora is passed her birth weight! She’s a cute little grower and feeder. She and Ruby are both doing so awesome. They need time to overcome the preemie challenges that they face but they are progressing and growing. I’m betting that little Ruby will be up in the 5lb club within two days!

So it’s stressful to be in the hospital and I know Jenna and Clayton just want to take them home but they are hanging in there and being patient.

Unfortunately Jenna has had every complication in the book. We’ve gone to triage several times (on doctors orders) and her eclampsia issues are still not under control. Tonight she got admitted again. It’s scary and frustrating. I just want her to get strong and well and to be feeling great. 
But I am so grateful that I got to come out and be with them (even though I am so sad to leave tomorrow), and I am so grateful that she is in the hospital and able to get the care she needs and be by her babies.  And I am hopeful she will be well soon. Our God is a God of miracles. 

Besides the stress and worries surrounding the birth of the babies we also have a wedding in 6 days. I need to get back and get things done. I wish they were a little older, I know they are stressed about money and finals and packing and moving and wedding stuff. Sawyer has some health problems that he’s still struggling with since his mission and I am sure that is also a huge stress. But I am so grateful that they are going to be married in the temple. I am grateful that they are in love and supportive and kind to one another. I feel blessed to get a new son who is a wonderful man. 

Sierra has her own post health crisis woes with bills and insurance to deal with. She has a new apartment to find and is still settling on what her life’s work will be. These things are stressful. I wish she could find her passion, find a wonderful man to marry in the temple, and be blessed with good health and happiness. I worry about her but I am so grateful that she is wonderful daughter, the best aunt in the world, and smart, kind and funny. She is a worthy, righteous daughter of God. I don’t know what His plan for her is; but He does. 

Dani?, well, raising a young family, doing daycare, serving in her callings. These things are stressful and hard. It’s an overwhelming time of life. I know there are many financial stresses, kid challenges etc that she faces each days I am grateful that she and Greg have a strong, happy marriage. I am grateful that they are active in the church, that they rely on and trust Heavenly Father. I am grateful they have healthy, smart, lovely kids. Do I worry and pray? Of course. But I am also so proud and happy. 

Ethan. High school, peer pressure, messy rooms, too much electronics, early mornings and late nights and homework. This is tough. The struggle to do good and to succeed and to grow into a man of God is stressful and hard. I am grateful that he’s a good boy, that he wants to make good choices, that he finds joy in sports and doing well at school. Being a teenage boy who stays a disciple of Christ while living in a wicked world is a near impossible task. I am grateful that he knows the one thing that makes it possible. The atonement. The great equalizer. He (Christ)makes us equal to our Father’s expectations and worthy of His great rewards. Even while we are making teenage mistakes and having teenage trials.

Grace is also a teen now. Raising children is a stress. I know I’m still in the middle of it. Having disappointments at science Olympiad, troubles with friends and teachers, unfulfilled wishes and homework, and middle school drama are stressful. I am grateful that I am older as I mother her. That I have the benefit of perspective.

All these situations, issues, struggles, whatever are on my mind. I worry and I pray. I try and help if I can, to butt out when it’s not my place, to find joy in the journey even when there are bumps along the way. I want my kids to have lives that are happy and rewarding and easy and to spare them pain. But that is not the plan and not what is good for them. So instead I am grateful for the Lord Jesus Christ. I am grateful for what He has done for us. I am grateful that I can repent and try again. I am grateful that He is so much wiser and able to allow suffering for the benefit of the sufferer and those who love him/her. I try to be steady and calm and assuring.   

You could ask anyone at anytime and find that they are having real and difficult struggles. That is part of life. We can and should be hopeful and happy during and because of those struggles. It means we are becoming. 

Now it’s late and I’m tired. I hope to wake up tomorrow to some Fresh new miracles, and I hope I will recognize them and be grateful for them.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm glad the twins are growing but so sorry that Jenna isn't recovering quickly! An emergency C-section is no fun and the blood pressure issues on top of it are draining. Plus being up all the time with the babes. I will pray for them all. Laraba

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful example you are, Lana. I miss you and your family and appreciate your faith and testimony. There was a week on my mission during a tough time that we decided to look for all of the miracles around us and pretty soon we were grateful for the miracle of even waking up in the morning and being able to breath and see and walk. It helped strengthen my faith and awareness of how dependent we are on Heavenly Father and how grateful I should be each and every day. Sometimes hard to remember; thanks for the reminder. Good luck this weekend! I looked at airline tickets and really hoped to come surprise Hannah but it didn't work out. I hope everything goes smoothly; post lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete