Friday, December 15, 2017

25 years and 1 day ago

tiny feet
4 months old
25 years ago. Wow that seems like a long time and it seems like just moments ago. Time is weird.  Oh how I love my little Jenna.  She was, and is, a delightful ray of sunshine in my life. I know I’ve written about her birth before but whenever a birthday roles around I always reflect on it. Also now that she is expecting her own little girls it comes up in my memory a lot. (Cue: circle of life music).

I was 24 years old when Jenna was born. Ironically I felt so old and J seems very young to me (again with the weird time thing).  I was in my 6th year of community college (sadly not joking), serving as our ward relief society president (to the chagrin of many of the older and much more capable sisters in the ward), doing daycare so I could be a “stay at home” mom for Dani and Sierra, 1 year cancer free, and in a hard & sad marriage.  There were lots of hard things in my life and 3 delightful, happy, joyful blessings!

Grandpa Palmer (Jenna's great grandfather) died and everyone in the family was coming to town for the funeral. It was the day before the funeral was to happen and we were up early in the morning getting ready for the many things we had to do with family in town, and a funeral to get ready for.  Mark was at work and I was giving the girls a bath when whoosh, my water broke.  That was the first time it had broken before I started having contractions so I was very surprised!  I finished getting the girls bathed and dressed, called Mark to come home, called Mom to have her get ready to take Dani and Sierra and got myself together.  When Mark got home we drove to mom's (super close by, a blessing I didn't fully appreciate until years later when we started living far from family) and then drove to the hospital.  At this point I still hadn't had any contractions and was beginning to wonder if I just wet my pants.  I was checked and found to be at 6 cm so we got a room.  I got changed and we got settled in and not too long after that things got moving.  I am a fast laborer (for which I am ever grateful) and an hour later we welcomed our sweet baby girl into the world.

Here's the thing about being a mom.  It is the most amazing thing ever.  I love my parents, siblings, friends, even husband but those children, that is something different.  Something in your very body chemistry, all the way down to your DNA, literally changes when you become a mom (or at least that's what it feels like).  Each time my brand new baby was placed in my arms I was overwhelmed with love.  I was obsessed. Everything about that baby was/is a delight.  The texture of their skin, the intoxicating smell they have, the softness of their whole being.  Everything is a wonder.  Jenna was tiny and perfect.  I remember looking at her feet and hands, her sweet little ears and tiny, tiny nose. I drank in every bit of her and never tired of watching her.  When you hold your child a sense of well being, peace and joy just floods your senses.  Still does but even 100x more when they are small.  What is a 100 times infinity? That math doesn't work out but the eternal love and family bonds are real none the less.

So J was born and all was well.  We went home the next day and began our life as a "girl family”, 3 was the official number that made us a girl family ;).  Jenna has always been such a great girl.  She was an easy, sweet, although determined baby and toddler.  She was a good, cheerful, quick learning student.  She was an adventuresome, fun loving, out going teenager.  As an adult she is responsible, caring, faithful, fun, goal oriented, beautiful woman.  I so grateful to be her mom and consider her a great blessing and kindness from the Lord.  (the only problem is those thousands of miles between us).

I am looking forward to seeing how the next 25 years of her life unfold. (and eternity after that, I truly know and believe that we will enjoy that family relationship, the joy of being mother/daughter, and the friendship we have now forever.  God's kindest gift)

Happy birthday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment