Wednesday, March 1, 2017

MARCH!!! Spring is on the way!

It's been rather chilly and I am ready for some nice warm weather.  I know SoCal winter is relatively mild but I am still cold. 

Yesterday I subbed in Leona Valley.  I hadn't been up there before.  They have 4 teachers at the school.  It is tiny.  All of the teachers had tech training so there were 4 subs.  My class was the 4/5 combo.  Also my teachers classroom was the one where the training was being held so we met in the cafeteria.  It was my first day back after the lost voice episode and my voice was only 50% so I was a little concerned however it turned out to be a really pleasant day.  The kids were all really good and we had a lot of fun.  I always try to get to know the kids a little and these guys were mainly animal lovers.  It's very rural out there and a lot of the kids reported having horses, cows, chickens, siblings and chores.  One little girl rides buffaloes and other animals(her dad trains animals for the movies and she is their "test dummy", she reported.).  Anyway it was only a half day but it was very nice.  Hopefully that school will need subs again.

After I met Tami for visiting teaching.  100% on the last day of the month! Whoo hoo!

This morning Hannah and I got up at 4 am and got on a phone call with Val and Kenz and we all got online and bought housing contracts for the fall.  It was crazy.  Kenz has a cousin, Sierra, who is going to be a sophomore and she is also going to be living with them.  She gave them the scoop of which apartment was the best and how to get the on campus one.  Today was the first day it was open to buy and although the girls had originally wanted a four bedroom those were sold out.  At 4am there were only a few contracts left and we triumphantly scored one on the 5th floor of building 2.  Hannah and Kenz will share a room.  Sierra and her friend have another room and then a mystery two girls in the 3rd room.  So that was exciting. I woke up at 2 in a panic because the street light made the edge of the room look kind of bright and I thought I missed the call, then I basically couldn't go back to sleep until 4.  We made the call and that took about 20 minutes so I decided to just wait for the 5:15 wake up time.  So I think I will be tired today.  I am really excited for H & K.  One of my big regrets is that I didn't go away to college. I didn't really know how to go about leaving for school and while my parents certainly valued college and actually most of their kids went and graduated they did not proactively facilitate that happening.  That was one thing I knew I wanted to do differently.  I really wanted all the kids to have that chance to go, and learn ,and live with roommates, and matriculate!  So far they all have and as much as I missed them when they left I was so happy for them.  I hope Hannah will really take advantage not only of the great educational opportunities, and the wonderful devotionals, but also of the fun social life and dating opportunities.  She and Sawyer are very devoted to each other and expect that they will marry when he comes home from his mission.  If that's what happens I am fine with it but I'd really like her to spend next year dating other boys, having fun, making sure and maybe she will find someone else she likes.   Either way and even if they do get married I hope she will still take that year to have a blast.

 So this is the kind of room Hannah and Kenz will have.  And they will have a washer/dryer in their apartment, which I think is a real luxury. They are on campus right in the middle of all things, wonderful!  They will have a cute kitchen so they can cook, although we will get Han a meal plan so she has options.

Such fun times!  September 8 is her move in date.  Crazy!
Lastly yesterday I saw the top photo of Elder Nelson and read the quote and was very touched.  I didn't hear the original address but I think I'd like to take the challenge.  I can't imagine the experience he had, and being an apostle of the Lord and bearing a special witness of Him he (Elder Nelson) still felt that this endeavor yielded a significant growth of understanding.  What?!?  Imagine what you or I, mere disciples, or slackers (it's a sliding scale depending on the day) will learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment