Friday, May 22, 2015

Arrakis

We are moving back to California, where I grew up, and where Rob and I met.  This is awesome for Rob, the job is on his bucket list of dream career opportunities and is the next step on his path.  I am really proud of him.  He's a hard worker and a smart man.  He's a good engineer and a good manger.  He's driven and focused and not afraid of conflict, while at the same time good at defusing it.  He is able to lead his team and motivate them and keep things stable and moving forward.  He is a huge asset to the company and I am so pleased for him and proud to be by his side in this journey.

We have always made his career our top commitment and been willing to move for advancement and opportunity.  This move will be our hardest.  We have the huge silver lining, no, gold lining of being close(r) to family.  We will be a nice days drive from mom and dad and Dani and the grandkids and Sierra.  We will be close enough to all my siblings to see them and to be together for important stuff.  We will be really close to Anna.  For this I am grateful.
At the same time it takes us away from Clayna and Abba and Nana and UB. That part is sad.

The desert.  Well, it is what it is.  I didn't hate it when I lived there before.  I haven't missed it, at all.  It's not forever. ...hopefully.

We have enjoyed a real season of abundance here in beautiful Maryland. I can honestly say that each day I have marvelled and enjoyed the beauty of this land.  The greens are sparkly and lush.  The trees block your view from all else and lend a feeling of enchantment to an afternoon stroll or a drive to the store.  The water is beautiful and so close.  We have often just gone there to sit and to look and to enjoy. (Rob will miss the water, and the fishing).
Our home is beautiful and has served us well.  We have enjoyed many meals with friends, firesides and ward gatherings, parties and visitors here. ( I hope it sells quickly.)
Our opportunities to serve have been many and rewarding.  I love my calling as stake young women's president.  It's been a joyful time for me.  I have learned a lot and have been so blessed to work with amazing, talented, stalwart men and women.  The Lord has work for us where ever we go.  That's the good news.
Girl scouting has been a great, unexpected, wonderful service opportunity too.  Grace has benefited so much from her 4 years of scouting and I have enjoyed very much my year as a troop leader.  It's gone well and it's been a lot of fun.
I love my little job.  I certainly don't mind being a full time stay at home mom though and consider that one of the biggest blessings of my life.  I am ever grateful that Rob provides for us and that I can stay home and be chauffeur, laundress, cook, sounding board, party planner, TV watcher :) bon bon eater, etc.  Giving tours is fun and I am happy I had this short time to do it.
The schools here have been amazing for the kids.  The schools there are not as good.  They will have to be motivated and disciplined to get a good education.
STEM for Ethan and Grace have been a wonderful fit.  Culinary and theater and just the level of excellence have been great for Hannah.
We have such wonderful, dear friends. That is the hard part of any move.  Leaving people you love.  Leaving TX was very hard.  Leaving here will be very hard.  We have been blessed.
I love the east coast.  I love the history and we have enjoyed seeing a lot of places that have resonated with me.  Seeing where our country started and being in a place where lives were lived and lost for freedom's cause is moving.  We love our nations capital.  We have enjoyed the cities and the diversity here.  We have enjoyed the south and it's hospitality and mentality of friendliness. It's all been very very good.
We have been changed for good and will always treasure this time.

So now we gird up our loins and fresh courage take and move forward.  There were A LOT of tears as we told the children (Hannah) and a lot of sad feelings and a sense of loss but the future is full of promise and opportunities and we look forward to serving and living and growing. Bloom where you are planted, go forward in faith, we can do hard things, joy in the journey and all that.

I feel the worst for our sweet Hannah.  Right before your junior year is a terrible time to move.  (We've lived that nightmare once before.)  She is very involved in school and church and is giving up a lot.  She is head of the prom committee for next year, and costume crew head for next year, and involved in many activities, and culinary, and seminary, and yw class president and and and.  She's a busy, involved, teen with many leadership opportunities and many many wonderful friends.  It will be a big, and hard change for her. She can do it and it'll be fine.  Just hard.

So Rob leaves soon and we will sell the house and follow. Guess there is lots of work to do ahead.

4 comments:

  1. What?! Noooo, don't go! You will leave a huge hole in our ward and neighborhood. I guess I hope your house sells quickly. (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very, very sad. :( we love your family. Is it ok if I say that I'm not ok with this?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll adopt Hannah so she can stay! :) We will sure miss your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will miss your family! Hope your move and transition are smooth.

    ReplyDelete