Wednesday, December 10, 2014

first world problems


waiting to steal a sugary treat
I have the most darling friend.  She is funny and creative and just lovely in every way.  She has an annual cookie party that is tomorrow.  I somehow scored an invitation and with it came strict instructions: make 12 dozen beautiful cookies, wrap them nicely and come to exchange.  I have been giving this a lot of thought.  With my newly found cookie decorating skilz I figured it would be no problem.  I pinned some awesome Christmas cookies and set aside a couple of days to bake this week. 

That's where the easy part ended.  I always forget that my skill set really is much more in the laundry folding, kid chauffeuring, book reading, pinning end of the spectrum. None the less I spent yesterday baking, and today decorating (and by today I mean from 9am to 2pm, then again from 7pm to 11pm.  I had some successes but mostly my Eskimos look like snow ninjas, my penguins look like...well I don't know what, the reindeer look okay as long as you haven't seen the originals, and they all pretty much are the caliber that you would find in a middle school home ec class.  Ethan told me "don't worry mom you won't be invited back so this is a one time ordeal" And my boxes, let's not even go there. 

So now I am in bed, my kitchen floor is a sticky mess, the dogs are locked in with us for the night so they don't help themselves to  cookies that are sitting out to set up and I am pretty confident my cookies will be the ugliest ones and we will have to move. 

Honestly if there was a gracious way out of it I'd stay home and eat them all myself, well I'd share with Millie :) But of course there isn't. Maybe I'll suffer a deer strike en route tomorrow.

So what have we learned from this?
a) I live a very blessed life if this is my biggest problem this holiday season.
b) I am an introvert to the core, this is the same internal dialog I have to deal with every time I go out. I love people, and am always happy to be invited to do something or to have plans...until it's time to go, then I have to sternly pep talk myself into going
c) I could have subbed the last two days, taken that money and gone to the bakery and bought nice cookies to take...then my floor would be clean too....hmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment