Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Convenient?

Some days I have very few pressing things to do.  There is always stuff to do but sometimes it can wait, or can be done slowly or whatever.  Some days a lot of things find their way on my plate and it's more hectic.  Interestingly doing service for others is often not convenient.  I want to serve others and would be happy to do it every day..in theory.  In practice I sometimes get lazy and selfish or feel like I am too busy.  Doing what?? I don't know.

This morning I drove a sweet older sister in our ward to her endoscopy.  Then I stayed to help her and listen to the doctor and drive her home.  I love this dear old sister and always enjoy visiting with her.  Today was particularly funny because they sedated her for the procedure.  When she came out she was still loopy and as we walked off the elevator she saw an old friend (picture a stooped, bald, old old man) She grabbed him with both hands on the face and gave him a big old kiss on the cheek. Then as we were walking out she kept saying "I can't believe I kissed him!' " We weren't even close enough to be hugging", over and over.  When we got to the car she turned to me and said "honey, that's why you should never do drugs!'.  I laughed.  It was a delight to take her and although it took the whole morning I was very grateful to be able to help.
Our ward has a new way of feeding the missionaries.  It's by assignment with no regard to the availability or convince of the member  Tonight we were assigned the sisters, who I love to have over.  The problem is Hannah had a thespian meeting after school and Ethan had swim clinic and Grace had scouts so our window of available time was 4:30, and thank goodness it was for the sisters and not the elders because Rob is never home at 4:30 (ha ha ha)  They came and helped out in the kitchen.  We made dinner together and had fun talking and laughing while things were prepared.  Dinner was good and then they left a nice message with us. 

Tonight was our first official junior meeting of the year.  It went well.  The girls are very silly and noisy but I think they enjoyed it and it will be fun year.

Three examples of service today that I at one point or another during the day didn't want to do.  Thankfully I ignored that and went ahead with each one because they each blessed my life and brought me joy.

We miss out on a lot if we don't allow ourselves to be inconvenienced pretty regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment