Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentines day



We had a nice Valentines Day.  For a few days leading up to the big day the children were making "gift requests".  Excuse me...it's not Christmas.  One child became quite upset the other night when they learned that we were not doing gifts.  I spent a lot of time thinking about this feeling that they have that they are entitled.  On the one hand we do usually do something special on holidays to make it fun and to mark the occasion so we have set a pattern.  On the other hand I don't want them to expect and be disappointed.  Frankly I don't know what the answer is.  We live in a spoiled culture where we have nice lives, with enough food, and extra to celebrate with and I am so grateful and happy about that, yet I am mindful that I must teach my children to appreciate what they have, to thank God for it, to share and to be grateful in all things. 
Anyway, I decided to scale back a bit.  Bought no gifts, didn't go out to dinner.  We did make a nice dinner, and I got each child a card, then R and I wrote in the card a list of things we appreciated about each child & some talents that they have. 

So dinner was set and the children were home but my hard working husband was late (and with all the terrible cuts and the skillful leadership of our president (do you hear the snark) ) I am very grateful that he has a job and we support him in whatever crazy hours he needs to work.  So we sat around and Hannah entertained us with her cup/singing skilz :)  When he got home we ate, the kids read their cards, then wanted to read them out loud and were touched and sweet.  The atmosphere at the dinner table was a peaceful happy one. 

We ended the evening with reading Alma's words to his son Shiblon and went to bed early after a  moonlight walk with the poochies for me and a run to CVS for Dad and Han for some makeup remover.

And in other news at school each child had a good day.  Lu had a "great" party!  Ethan exchanged valentines and received two that exploded (the best EVER) , he exploded one at school and brought the other home to show me...and it was pretty cool! and Hannah got a love note :) in a cute card from a boy who wishes she liked him back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment