Saturday, January 5, 2013

this and that, no pictures

ok, I give up.  For reasons I do not understand, and can't seem to fix, I can not post pictures right now.  Maybe with time Blogger will heal itself, or maybe not.  Who knows?
Anyway we had a very fun time at the shower.  A lot of dear friends came, which I was grateful for.  Love my friends! I made some soups, 2 of which turned out well, and we had a chocolate fountain.  The games were fun and I wish I could put up pictures of Chelsea and Josie dressed as toilet paper brides. They were adorable.  Jenny, Clayton's sister came from DC and she is a hoot.  Jenna had a great time I think and was a gracious receiver.

I started a full time sub job.  Ms Shunk, who does inclusion support for kids with IEPs had a heart attack and will be out for an indefinite amount of time.  I took her place.  I like it well enough.  The kids are sweet and it's not hard.  I like to not work every day because it's crazy keeping up with stuff at home.  In my perfect job world I would work 3 days a week, only when the kids were in school, and would be paid considerably more than I am at my "volunteer work with a small stipend" which is what I call my job in my head.  But I am grateful for the extra $ especially now when we are preparing for a wedding, in a different state.  It's helpful and I am still home when the kids are...and the house, well it's fine as long as no one comes in to it :)

Clayton had his birthday this week while he was here.  He turned 24.  Jenna had some birthday fun planned for him, then late at night (8pm ish which is late for us lol) we had birthday cheesecake, Jenny came, then we all went to bed and Jen2 and Clayton watched Taken, which I want to see but I wanted to sleep more.  (a sign that I am old)

Last night was our first indoor soccer game of the season. It was very exciting.  The team had a wonderful game.  Ethan scored a goal in the first half and played keeper the second half and didn't let any goals in.  He loved it.  The only damper on the evening was Ethan wants to play travel and spent a lot of time feeling bad about it.  Problem is: travel games are on Sunday.  We honor the Sabbath (.)  Additional problem: his friend, also a member, recently decided to play as long as it was after church.  Which is his choice, not one I agree with and not one we will adopt, but not one I take issue with.  Everyone is free to chose for themselves, which is God's greatest gift to us , our free agency.  I do not similarly give this gift to my minor children as I feel it is my duty, obligation, privilege, honor, etc, to raise them and teach them and therefore tell them what to do.  I believe very much in the teach them correct principles and then let them govern themselves philosophy but we are still in the teach them phase not the govern themselves phase, and honestly mom's always weigh in, always have an opinion.  It's our nature.   Anyway, this made a most excellent game for Bub a little bitter sweet because he knows he can't play where he wants later. 

There has been a lot of talk about new year's resolutions lately.  I don't have any.  I do want to lose some lbs and learn to be a runner, or kayaker, or a person who can walk up stairs without getting winded and I am doing weight watchers...again.  I am a good loser, I have lost probably 200 lbs.  Sadly it's been the same 10 over and over again but it's evidence that it can be done.  Other than that and my on going attempts to be a crocheter my only goals are to get through the events I am responsible to plan this year with stellar results and all my hair.  Beehive Conference, Girls Camp, Jenna's wedding, Palmyra trip to name a few.  High dollar, big pay off, lots of work that I want to do well events.  That's all I can do.
Rob's resolution may be to clean his closet.  I don't know that  for a fact but he has been working on it for days.  Which thrills me and is unprecedented.  He suffers from too much stuff, but he got rid of all the things that don't fit so now with a little organizing he might be set.  I actually, as always, want to organize top to bottom.  Nana is much better at that than I am but I try.  Things don't stay where I put them which is a big part of the problem.  Oh well.  I am blessed to have little mess makers around me.

Jenna and Clayton left yesterday.  It was a good visit.  They were here a long time which was nice because we really got to know Clayton well and he us.  We could only act the way we wish we really were for a few days, then we acted the way we really are, which is sometimes the way we wish we are and sometimes a little less and he still wants to marry Jenna.  So I guess he's committed :) She wants to marry him.  They are different people but are crazy about each other..ah, young love.  I hope they will be very happy together!

lastly I totally get why some people have dogs instead of children.  Not that I am in any way anti child.  I do have 6 of them, which is a decent nod to the multiply and replenish mandate.  And I love them, they are my greatest joy and I would never, even on the worst day with the most difficult child trade any of them.  However dogs are easier and a delight.  I call Ziva and she drops what she is doing and runs to me.  The kids, not so much.  I give her food, she is delighted...the kids, not so much.  I want to spend time with her...she is thrilled and will do whatever I want to do and she does it with nary a complaint.  The children take issue with every wonderful, glitter filled, magical childhood event I orchestrate for them.  Z will never date someone I don't like.  She will never tell me no when I ask her to clean her room (in fairness I will never ask her to but whatevah), she will never break curfew, say she wishes she was never born, hit her sister, stamp around or worst of all move to Utah and leave me grandchildless and without her company just when she grows up to be the most wonderful person ever (as my 3 biggest have done and my 3 littlest no doubt will do)  No wonder I love that little fluff ball.

3 comments:

  1. Some excellent writing there in the last paragraph, Lana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I'm having trouble posting photos too. I finally clicked HTML and loaded one photo at a time. I had a great time at the shower and wish Jenna and Clayton many years of joy! You are an awesome hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RE the Sabbath, I believe God wants us to set that day aside for rest and running around doing something fun (like soccer) really isn't very restful. Also, the Sabbath is a great time to connect with family when family is very busy the rest of the week (which you are.) I congratulate you for holding the line though I'm sure it is hard that he is so disappointed. We keep missing church due to illness (the baby is pretty sick right now :-(.) but I am thankful for FAMILY time on Sunday even if we can't attend church.

    I'm glad you love your pup. I don't think we are ready for a dog. One thing about kids is that they will never break into the chicken pen and kill all the chickens, whereas a dog might. Yes, a neighbor dog did just that once!

    ReplyDelete