Friday, December 21, 2018

17 hrs


That’s how long it took us to drive our 13 hr long trip from Orlando to Miamisburg. It was all Atlanta’s fault.
Other than the length of time it took everything went smoothly.

2 days ago I decided it was about time I watched the Lord of the Rings. I had seen little bits here and there but never all of it, or even nearly all of it.

So we watched #1 over the course of two nights and 2-3 today while we drove.  I drove the middle 5 hr shift so was able to fit in the movies before and after.

I have to say I loved them. 
Also every other film seems to have been hugely influenced by this story. By every other I mean: HP, Eragon, Angry Birds (game and movie), Hunger Games and I am sure many others that I am too tired to think of tonight.

Also this reminded me very much of the epic BOM battles: the tragedy at Nephihah, wicked King Noah telling his men to flee and leave the women and children, Alma and Amulek, the curelon and cumelons (which I always pictured as larger and more ferocious elephants...not that I know anything), the final battle scenes. The way gathering forces took so long and communication took so long. I could totally see parallels.

Also what a timeless tale of good vs almost insurmountable evil, friendship, love and valor, and the value of doing good even if the outcome looks poor or hopeless.

Lastly Rob told me that Frodo was an archetype of Christ, which I totally see. But I would argue so is Sam. He never leaves Frodo to carry his horrible burden alone, and in fact carries him when he can’t go on. He encourages and takes care of and believes in Frodo in a selfless and sacrificing manner. 

It was gory and long but beautiful and moving. And I am so glad that good won in the end. (Spoiler alert)

No comments:

Post a Comment