Friday, October 12, 2018

Today I taught 5th grade and it was a good day. The kids were cute and fun and the lessons were interesting. What has been so surprising to me is how culturally diverse Orlando is. Who knew? 
Today in my class I had 3 super cute little girls from India. They reminded me of Andrea. Their English was good and they were all very sweet. When they sat by themselves chatting it was not in English though. There were two boys from China. Also very nice and polite. A bunch of kids from Brazil. (Like 8-9). Some spoke English, some spoke it not at all. All the kids were very nice. 
The way this school does 5th grade is team teaching with another teacher so I had language arts and history twice with 2 groups. Both with similar ethnic makeups. Then they have a focus group for about 45 minutes in the middle of the day. The kids are divided by learning needs. My group was 20+ kids, all Brazilian, who are just learning English. 
It was an interesting and enjoyable day for me. The only hard part is they have a strict no physical contact rule for subs. Like you can’t even tie their shoes or give high fives. I get the caution but come on:(
At recess a cute little girl from activity days ran up to say hi! She went in for the hug and I had to tell her no no! Hug me on Sunday but here at school I’m not allowed. We can air high five though. (Lame) She agreed to find me Sunday and we chatted for a minute. 
At the end of the day we were in the cafeteria waiting for the car riders to be dismissed when two of the boys I had taught that day ran up (but I didn’t see them coming) and grabbed me around the waist and said “tell my teacher we want you to come back whenever she is gone” so super cute and sweet. I had to keep my arms up and tell them thanks that I’d love to and to have a nice weekend while being super awkward. I hate that.

Rob and I went to Chevy’s tonight. We hadn’t been since MD and it was very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment