Wednesday, May 23, 2018

What’s to come?

I always love every book I read that Fannie Flagg has written. This was no exception. I started it on the plane ride home and it is a super sweet read.
Two thumbs up.

We got home and found all was well. The kids missed us, and we missed them. We went out to cafe rio and then walked around Best Buy for FHE. Everyone had fun. We enjoyed looking at the gadgets and laughing together. You never know when the simplest activity will turn into a very fun family time. That’s why quantity is better than “quality” when it comes to spending time with people you love. We just had a great evening. 

Tuesday I channeled my inner Henry McCord (who I love btw) and taught 8th grade history. Often teachers of middle school students leave filler activities if they are gone. I have subbed for this class before though and she left me a real lecture to give. I had a really fun time doing it and luckily I got there a little early so I could review my facts. Plus she had a great power point. We talked about how the Republican Party started, the Dred Scott case, the Lincoln/Douglass debate and the Harpers Ferry 
Raid and the roll those events played in the civil war starting. It was a lot of fun for me. Shockingly none of the kids seemed too excited about it. They were good though and diligently took notes. I tried to make it relevant. So good day for me.

For mutual the girls did yoga, which was fun. And drank carrot juice, which we all agreed was just so-so. Photo cred to Lauri. I was yoga-ing.
The boys did a service project which Ethan reported was fun. He is always happy to go serve. I love that about him. I don’t think he’s ever complained or asked to stay home from a service opportunity.

This morning Grace and her math gang are off to mathletes. They were excited to go. Last year she got first place overall and first place for her team so expectations are high. I hope they do great. 

I am subbing 8th grade history again, different school.


Rob is flying to Florida. He has two job interviews. One is for a job in Orlando that does something with rockets (maybe). The other is for chief of flight test for some helicopter over three sights (CT, MD, FL), which would move us back to MD. 

I am of two minds on the whole thing. On the one hand it’s completely out of my control. He’ll interview and get offered a position or not. Then he’ll choose the best/most exciting/ most growth potential one. And we will go (or stay). I’m fine with that and am just waiting. 

On the other hand, moving is a pain, I just got a job that I am  happy about, I love being close to UT and we are nice and settled here, I miss MD, I like the excitement of going somewhere new (FL), I like to not work too, I’d love to be closer to Jenna and Clayton (who may move west at any time), the schools are better, we could buy a cheaper house, if I work a cheaper house will be less important, selling and buying houses is yuck, I love seminary here, I don’t love CA politics or traffic, I love the green trees and water (MD I’m looking at you!), I could be the Fairy Godmother at DisneyWorld, here is close to BYU and college drop offs pick ups and parents weekends, museum guide, crab cakes, STEM...as you can see it’s a swirl. Which brings me back to waiting to see what happens and then finding the good in that choice. 

Update: she won individual first place and team first place. Now she wants to go for three years in a row so she can have her name on a special plaque! Smarty pants!! She does not get that math gift from her mother.
Grace, Kami, Leelou, Andi, Brittany, Rylin




1 comment:

  1. Well it would be amazing to have you come back but if you move to Florida, we'd come visit you if we were invited! :) We love Florida too and plan to have a house in Cocoa Beach some day.

    ReplyDelete