Friday, December 20, 2013

Driving driving driving


Off to Nanas. There are no words...

This morning before we left I had my last lesson with Allie. She's going to Patagonia to volunteer at an environmental research facility. We decided on a trail ride and I was looking forward to it all week. 

Our morning was a bit hectic. Our plans were kind of in flux and kept changing so when last night at 9pm we finally decided on our exit strategy for leaving Dodge our  clear communication and understood plan was more murky than crystal. 
So I got up and got Grace out the door and got myself ready to ride, planning to be home by 11:00 and planning that R and E and H could load the car. A plan I felt was fair since prior to that minute I had done all the shopping, wrapping, shipping, washing, packing, house cleaning, car gassing, pet coordinating, planning, ect for the trip and for Christmas itself. And everything was ready it just had to be put into the car.
R felt like I was leaving him with all the last minute stuff, which I was. And the kids commented that "they were surprised", which in our family can be code for "you're doing what??" that I would leave when there was work to do.
Anyway I almost cancelled. But did not. I felt a little guilty on the drive but as soon as I got to the barn I was happy. The tack room makes me happy. Picking up Annie from her corral makes me happy. Feeding her a pre ride carrot, happy. Grooming her, so fun. Tacking up, love it.  We went on a great ride over hill and dale, onto the beach, past a darling pond. I loved it. I'm a bit of a chicken up there but love it at the same time. When she bolted up the hill I had a teeny tiny heart attack and yelled whoa, then laughed. Anyway it was great and I went home happy and late, everything was packed (thanks honey) and everyone was in a good mood so I showered and we hit the road. 

And that is the story of how we left town and despite my selfishness all was well. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you did not cancel. Maybe making a long list of ALL you have done to prepare so that you could enjoy your ONE, solitary indulgence is in order! Have a great visit!

    ReplyDelete