Saturday, May 18, 2019

The principle of sharing...or how I found myself in the middle of the lake

A love letter life has been on my mind. Those two kids who wrote it are wise beyond their years and I am actively applying some of the principles they outlined in my life.

One is the principle of sharing; which is if one spouse enjoys something there must be something of value in that activity and the other should find out what that value is so they can share in the activity together.
This is something that I have not been good at. Rob is much more willing to go along with me and what I want to do than I am for him. For much of our last 21 years I have been very busy raising a family and caring for our home and running everyone’s social calendar and doing my various callings. He has had more “free” time for hobbies and he loves to try new things and gets very into them. Typically I don’t really participate with him. Right now he loves fishing and taking out his kayak. When he goes I usually have chores or the kids need to go somewhere or Grace and I want to go to Disney or whatever.  But since reading the book last week I thought I should try harder to do things with him. After all I go to the pet store with Grace because she loves to look, even though I don’t like to go. And I watch sports with Bub, which I do like now but I had to learn how to like it.  Anyway, last night when I was chaperoning the 8th grade field trip, he texted should I take the kayak off my truck or will we want to use it tomorrow?
I said to leave it, that I would go. And I did. And it was a lot of fun. Very peaceful and pretty. Also very very sweaty. We pedaled 3.6 nautical miles around the perimeter. He fished. I looked at houses and saw one little gator and lots of birds. 

Then we came home and cleaned up and went to Lowe’s and Target together.

Also I really need a pedi. Scrappy Fred Flintstone feet.



No comments:

Post a Comment