Sunday, May 12, 2019

Mother’s Day


Our guest room is my favorite. Grace and I got home from church an hour after the men because we stopped so she could practice her song. Rob had already started his birthday nap so I came in here to lay down, turns out I’m not sleepy. 

Mother’s Day Sunday has my favorite musical number of the year in it.  The primary children always sing something sweet and they look so cute! This week was no different. The talks are also always sweet and about how great moms are. I know it’s  a difficult week for many. My friend Wendi hid at home rather than going to see the kids and hear the talks when her own arms are empty. Other mom’s feel like they are failing or are overwhelmed . Some are lonely because their children live far away, others sit with out a husband and wonder how on earth they will do it. My heart reaches out to those dear sisters and I hope they find peace and comfort and courage. For me it’s always been a happy day. I had children early in life and never felt the sorrow of waiting and wondering. From the first moments I was a mom I loved it. Of course it has long nights, and lots of worries and lots of work. And of course there were too many days when I knew I could have done much much better BUT I always knew I couldn’t love them more, couldn’t want better for them, and I have always felt great joy and happiness in mothering. I think I am pretty easy going so lots of mishaps were taken in stride. I am a far better mother than I am wife, or daughter or sister or friend so for me it’s a nice day. 

Some mothering favorites: 
going to McD with the kids. Especially when my 3 older girls were small. We often went and met friends at the big play area. Mom would often bring Emily and Andrea and we’d have lunch while the girls played. We colllected the happy meal toys and all kids love french fries. It had AC (so important in the desert) and was a great meeting spot.
 
Reading out loud with my kids. I read many many stories and I enjoyed them as much as they did. I never got bored reading to or with my children. Books took us to magical places, places where satyr’s collected batteries, rat’s fought for freedom, fairies lived and pirates sailed and bears could
talk and teach life lessons. 

I loved going to museums and zoos and books stores and even to Target with them. We did have our fair share of grocery store melt downs and overtired tantrums but again the good with the bad:)

Watching soccer games, starting with Dani and going down the row, dance recitals, swim meets, plays, concerts, horseback riding lessons, mathletes and chess matches, Cub Scout and Girl Scout advancements and many other highlights. I didn’t enjoy baseball and some elementary school awards ceremonies felt a little long but you take the good with the bad.
 
I love talking in the car, standing in line at Disney, and brushing the sand out of so many places after a beach day. Baking cookies and watching movies and camping and playing games and swimming in the backyard are all favorites. 

It has been 81% joyful and only 19% hard and frustrating so I feel like I have been on a blessed journey. 

I am lucky!





1 comment:

  1. After having a few rough parenting days this week, I am so glad I stopped on your blog and read this. Thanks for being a good example to me! 💕

    ReplyDelete