Friday, October 23, 2015

Friday


It was 8o degrees outside today.  The beginning of a frigid CA fall....it must be, look at all those flannel shirts!
Hannah texted me today saying she was sad and wanted to go home.  I was subbing so she was stuck.
The evidence shows that Hannah is making friends.  See exhibit A above, and B below.
But the fact is even though everyone is adjusting and making friends and finding their way, we still just miss MD.
Everything here is different.  Even the sun looks different.  This is because it's diffused  differently (as explained to me by my rocket scientist hubby).  We don't like anything better here than there.

It's fine.  I do not want to be one of those people who complain about where they live and always pine for the place they left.  That's not right.  We must bloom where we are planted. We must find joy and be of service.  I know this.  Yet I am constantly running an inner dialogue that sounds like this:
"don't be a brat.  It's nice here.  You love going to Disney.  It's wonderful being close(r) to family. Rob loves his job. You are not suffering. Stop hating on the desert, and the rude californians, and the cost of living and the drought, and the ...."
Also I subbed today. Third grade.  At best it's a slow and unpleasant day in the classroom.  At worst torture.  Today was a mix. I wish I could find something else to do between 8-1:30 that pays as well. The truth is I really think it's important to be home for the kids and I also really want the extra $ so (sigh) I go.  I couldn't do it every day.  A couple days a week is all I can stand.  I like kids, but as a collective they are more borg than anything else.

Exhibit C: seminary shenanigans with Sawyer
Well it's Friday.  So yay! Ethan has a soccer game tomorrow and Hannah has play practice (for principals only) and also a tri stake priest/laurel activity.  Tonight we are going to the movies with some friends and I am making cookies for the ward halloween party coming up. So fun stuff planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment