Monday, August 24, 2015

slow progress


Things keep moving along (at a glacial pace).  This move has been a challenge from start to ..... I was going to say finish but the end isn't really in sight until we sell our MD house.

In theory we are signing our final papers today and getting the keys on Wednesday.  It's 3:30 and so far nothing but the business day isn't over yet.  

The good news is today as I did the kid pick up from school rounds; let me set the scene:  I park by the elementary school at 1:30 (to get good and close) and Ethan walks down the street from the middle school and joins me in the car at 1:40ish.  I always say "how was your day?" and he says "fine, I'm hungry can we stop for a drink/snack somewhere?" We then wait for Grace who slowly walks over after talking to everyone she sees and makes it to the car around 2:10 (she gets out at 1:50) It's fine though because we just have to wait for Hannah.  I ask her how her day was and she begins to answer with her 30 minute play back of the day (which is great I love to hear it) We sometimes stop for a drink/snack and then drive to the high school where we park and wait until 2:50.  Ethan and Grace fight.  Grace talks to me and gets mad at Ethan for interrupting.  Ethan tells Grace she is Asian or Russian, or Canadian or whatever and she gets mad.  He turns on the music and she gets mad.  She has things to say (always) and he doesn't want to hear them (ever). It's delightful.  Finally Hannah gets in the car and we drive back to the hotel.  I ask how her day was and she reports.  Today she said, about 5 minutes in, while Grace was talking (always) and Ethan was turning up the music (sigh) that she was very sad.  I turned off the music and told Grace to hush and asked why and she said "actually I am not, this is the first time since we've moved here that I haven't felt sad."  Happy news.  

To say it's been a tough move is no exaggeration.  We didn't want to come from the get go, although I have to say that we are all supportive of Rob's career and he loves his job.  It was just MUCH harder than our previous job moves.  Things haven't been going smoothly and there is a fair amount of angst and anguish.  One thing that is in our favor is we are happy, cheerful people (as a rule) and are good at finding the bright side.  We are doing that and it continues to show itself and to lighten the edges of the gloom.  We will adjust.  I think even next week will be nicer (as we will be in the house) and when our MD house sells that will be awesome! and in a year we will feel at home and eventually we may be sad to move on ......(ROFLMHO ......no we won't but we will have made friends that we will miss :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment