Thursday, August 6, 2015

First Day of School


Hannah helped Grace make her locks lovely
Today was the first day of school for Ethan and Grace.  It went pretty well.  Grace's class has 35 kids in it.  That is 13 more than last year, which is a lot more.  Her teacher seems really nice and she made friends with several girls in her class, including a cute little girl named Helen who moved here from the Netherlands this summer.  I met her dad and older sister after school and they were friendly and nice.  (side note: I forgot how Californians are not overly friendly, after living in the "south" for the last 17 years it's different).  She was happy to report that they have two recesses and a long lunchtime.

I went with Ethan to get his schedule because I was pretty confident they would have it wrong.  I was right.  The counselor was super helpful and since I brought his test scores and last three years transcripts she was able to move him around into the honors classes they offer.  At the end of the day he too was happy to report that he had a long time to play outside (an hour) and that he thought a lot of the kids were pretty nice.  He played football during recess.

They both think, although the first day might not be the best indicator, that it will be super easy.  One odd thing is that the school has no buses.  As a result there is a swarm of parents and cars and kids at pick up.  We'll have to figure that one out.
ready to go!

Grace's class
While the kids were at school Hannah and I shopped.  It was four hours of mall fun and all we bought was a pair of jeans.  I have seen the inside of the mall more the last two weeks than I have the last two years.
shopping trip
Tonight I went to Relief Society.  Hannah volunteered to work in the nursery, which was very nice.  RS was nice.  I met a couple of sisters (and our Bishop) who knew Colleen and Tara.  They were all in the same ward years ago at Edwards. It's a small world.

1 comment:

  1. Glad the first day went well. Hope the other 179 are also great!

    ReplyDelete