Saturday, February 22, 2014

Priest/Laurel Dinner Dance (PLDD)

One of the very fun events we get to plan each year is our annual dinner and dance for the laurels and priests (ages 16-18 ). Literally while we were cleaning up last year I knew what theme I wanted to do this year.  Based on the fabulous tall flower vases we have.  I knew I wanted to fill them with fish and have an "under the sea" theme.  I thought it would be so fun to watch them swimming around on the tables.  This is a fancy-shmancy night, we go all out.

We had a jazz quartet that were amazing. Heres the thing that I think is so interesting, at our other dances during the year we play modern music and the youth dance some, they really like the line dances and other fun things that they do all together but there is  a lot of standing around and talking and watching, or jumping in groups but when we bring in our jazz group they love it.  They dance a lot and it's so fun to watch.
This year Kim Sakai did our flowers (with her crew of helpers).  I told her I wanted it to look like a coral reef and she did the most beautiful job.  Each year the flowers are break taking and make the whole event look so special.  This year was my favorite though, I think the colors were striking and cheerful, maybe particularly so because we've had such a gloomy winter, they just seemed like a promise of spring and a hope for warm days ahead.
Jocelyn Denyer heads our food committee.  She chose a Brazilian theme this year and it was to die for.  Her beef was sooo good.  She had fresh fruit platers for appetizers with star fruit, mango, papaya, guava, and a couple fruits I did not recognize.  The dinner was rice and beans, beef, kale, something I didn't recognize and salad.  For dessert we had passion fruit mousse and these amazing little chocolate balls.  She really outdoes herself.  I am so happy she loves it because she is fab-U-lous!!! In fact last night at the end of the evening, 16 hours after our day started, we stood  among the mess and started planning a theme for next year!  I love the joy that comes from serving together.

We spent all day setting up.  The stake YM help us, and our high council members. I have to say our men are such good sports. We come up with these crazy, hard to execute plans, that are labor intensive.  We tell them and without a complaint they slave away all day long and let us boss them around and be picky (I am kidding of course, I always feel a little bossy but they ask and really want to execute our vision).  They are heroic in their efforts and we have a great time laughing and working together.

We had the surprise of the company of three Elders and they helped us blow up 500 balloons.  They were so funny and cute to work with.  I took this picture to send to their moms! (both moms texted right back and said how fun it was to see their boys!)
 
one of the tall vases with the fish

My faithful presidency taking a "better than a nap" power rest and stretch before the kids arrive.  For the record I joined them as soon as I snapped the photo.  I can not even say how much I love these women, and what great friends they are and how wise and hard working and wonderful they are.

Oh speaking of photos, we also have a photo booth and a photographer.  This year Paul Milani did it and I am super excited to see the pictures.


So now a little story, we do a lot of gearing up and then devote the whole day to the event.  Obviously. Still I have my little family to care for (as we all do) and so in the morning I got up and started getting the children up and ready to get their day started.  We had a very compressed schedule as I needed to get out the door quite early.  and of course it was my carpool week but whatevah.  When I got to Hannah's room she was upset at being awoken and really really wanted to skip seminary and have me drive her to school because she was tired, needed to shower, not ready, ___________…  I said no way, it's too busy a morning, blah blah blah.  I am okay normally with missing a couple of days of seminary.  It is a huge sacrifice to go to early morning seminary.  It is a tremendous blessing and well worth it but I get that it is really hard, and I decided early on that if they girls went 90% of the time cheerfully and willingly that I would let them have the occasional pass when they asked.  It's worked well for us.  Sierra and Jenna both graduated and missed a few days here and there but mainly never complained and were great students and their teachers loved them and I know they learned so much.  Dani the same, she did decide to stop going after 3 1/2 years…so close.  but I digress.  This morning was not a good one to pass on though.  Well she cried and was upset and I was getting mad and then the Spirit whispered, "really Lana, you can't take 20 extra minutes?".  So I took a deep breath and said okay (through gritted teeth). 

In contrast, Grace woke up, and she was so cheerful and cute.  She said "mom, I made a list last night to help you out.  I took a shower and got dressed in my clothes and just slept in them to save time.  And I did my hair already and packed my lunch and got my backpack ready".  I hugged her and said thanks Then when I got back from the carpool run she was waiting for me with a special breakfast that she made just for us to enjoy together.  Her own recipe: banana and cool whip sandwiches.  When I saw that I totally groaned on the inside because I didn't have time for breakfast…and also, yuck!.  But again the gentle reminder that this was much more important, and these girls are my highest priority, so on the outside I said "oh Grace! how wonderful, you are so helpful and kind and thoughtful" and I sat with her and we had breakfast. 

and I was a little late getting there, and even though I value punctuality and really don't like to be late it was fine.  My girls had the best mom I could be for the 1 hour of the day I had with them yesterday.  That was important. And the dance was great, and I relearned a lesson that is so important and that I try and live my life by which is this: that is my job, #1, is to raise these kids and to love them.  That's it. 

The time goes too quickly.

1am: We drove into the driveway and collapsed in bed.  I could not sleep last night.  I do not know why.  I was up at 2 and 3 and 5, dozing in between but awake a lot.  Which is atypical.  Then the boys had to get ready for  merit badge day and R and I had to unload the car at 6:30, then Lu was up and we have a full day ahead …so I guess I will be yawning a lot today.  But it's all good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment