Friday, January 9, 2015

strange day

We woke up this morning earlier than usual.  4:45.  Hannah had to be at the school at 5:15.  She went on an over night field trip to the MD thespian festival.  They are performing their one act and also watching others and going to workshops and other fun acting things.  I am disappointed because all the plays that the high school does seem to have very dark themes; mental illness, alcohol, cannibalism, adultery. I don't understand why.  What's wrong with Enchanted??

Anyway I got back just in time to get Ethan up and then Grace.  I was going to sub today but when I got back I was greeted by Ziva throwing up.  What?  We don't know what was wrong with her but she threw up about 4-5 times as well as problems out the other end.  I spent several fun filled hours cleaning carpet.  She was sick as a dog, and then got better.  Weird.

So it's been freezing.  Really freezing.  Yesterday it was like 9 degrees.  This morning it was 24 when I took the last kid to school.  Sadly that last kid had a field trip today....to Elm's Beach.  Outdoor classroom.  Who plans that for January?  I sent her in her big jacket, and a sweatshirt and a long sleeve shirt and boots and two pairs of gloves and her baklava and a hat and a hood and with a sack lunch.  It was pretty funny at the bus stop you could tell exactly who was going on the field trip as they looked very much like the little brother in a Christmas Story.

She did say that they had a good time and were warm enough.  So good. 

Tonight was Ethan's first indoor soccer game of the season.  It is always exiting.  Today's game especially so.  You'd have thought we were at a pro game with the shouting and clapping from the sidelines.  It was fast paced and tons of fun.  We did lose 7-6 but it was still so much fun!

Weirdest thing of all, I suggested to Rob and we take the kids out to dinner before the game.  Not too long ago a pho restaurant opened up in our little town and we have actually gone there once.  The food was good but the service was so slow it was painful.  Since then I've heard it got better so I wanted to try again. While we were talking about it on the phone he said fine but Grace would hate it.  To which I replied yes.    She's a picky eater and really only likes pizza, fried carbs, sugar and Subway sandwiches.  Normally everything else is met with complaints. 
So we go.  And she can't even read the menu but is willing so she tells me to order chicken, which I do.  Then the food arrived and she loved it.  She tried mine and loved it.  She ate it all and talked pleasantly and talked about how good everything was and maybe if she goes on a mission to "Mongolia" she will first check if they have "normal food" like Subway and then if not she could eat this.  I did tell her it wasn't Mongolian but Vietnamese and she accepted that and continued to eat.  She also said that she since she was good at selling girl scout cookies door to door she figures being a missionary will be a piece of cake. "Mom if they say no I just say thanks and try the next door...same thing."

So it's odd to have Han gone tonight.  It's always strange to have a chickie not in the nest when it's time to go to bed.  



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you had to get up at 4:45!!! You are a saint of a woman. Hope you snuck in a nap somewhere but it doesn't sound like it! Big huge yay for Grace trying new food!! I swear she and Haylee are two peas in a pod about 99 out of 100 things and there is no way Haylee would have tried the food. Extra hooray for Grace!

    ReplyDelete