Sunday, June 30, 2013

post camp wrap up

Camp was a great experience.  Really.  We had many camp miracles and lots of laughs.  I want to jot down some notes to myself so I will remember.  Where to begin.  I don't even know. The hours of preparation, the prayers and the planning on both the wards and the stake level are tremendous.  Then you get there and hope it goes well.
 Last year we had the derecho that lead to an eventful evening spent in the shower house waiting for the storm to pass, this year I did not want a repeat.  Although bad weather threatened we were spared.  More than one storm cell split in half and went around us, giving us a pretty good shower but nothing severe.  The first three days were terribly hot and humid, hot like slipping my pants off and on in the potty felt like tugging a wet swimsuit up and down.  Sweat literally ran down our faces and backs.  Despite this we had only a few heat related problems. I myself didn't feel nauseous or drained, two common effects to prolonged exposure to high temps.  The girls who did feel bad were able to be treated with rest and hydration and only two girls went home.
On Thursday, our COPE day, severe storms were expected.  It turned out to be wonderful weather. Cool and overcast, with an occasional shower.  All the girls and many leaders got to try the different elements and it was so nice.  I got to go on the zip line and had  very fun ride.   At the end of the day it got very overcast and that lasted throughout the evening.  Around 10pm though, literally at the time we wanted to start stargazing the clouds cleared and we were able to see perfectly.  I saw the rings of Saturn.  So amazing. 

We had some wonderful people helping us this year.  Brother Shane Johnson came up to do our stargazing evening and he gave a wonderful talk.  He told a story about feeling God's love and knowing that God was mindful of him. He was flying a U2 from Hawaii to South Korea, was 70,000 ft (miles- idk) up at the very edge of space, all alone, enjoying the flight when his temperature regulator broke.  At first he felt pretty good but within a few hours he was freezing, literally.  There were ice crystal forming in his pee bag(not its technical name) , his feet were numb and he was growing concerned.  He had been through the check list many times without success and was at the point where he had to decide what to do. If he landed at midway he would be delayed in his mission and would not make it home for his nephews wedding. He said he felt very alone and small.  Then after another heartfelt, sincere prayer the thought came to him to go through the check list again. He did and that time, miraculously, it fixed the problem and he was able to continue. He said he knew that God knew him and where he was and what his needs were.  There was a powerful witness of the Spirit as we sat out under the stars, quietly listening to him speak.

Patriarch Talbot came up to give a devotional one day.  He answered many questions and shared a wonderful testimony.

Bob Turbyfill, the coach of the US National Orienteering team came and did a 3hour long workshop for our 3rd year girls on orienteering.  They said it was wonderful.

Will and Sam were our cooks, ice men, water shleppers, trash emptiers, weather monitors,etc.  They were so sweet and worked so hard for us.

We had four COPE course instructors from our stake who spent all day out in the field, every day, and they were so encouraging, so tireless.

Bishop Reed is now our high council advisor so he was with us all week and we worked him to death.  He was on COPE, he was on trash duty, he gave blessings, council, watched the weather. It was such a comfort to have those good brethren, those worthy priesthood holders there to watch out for us.

The women who were there were incredible as well.  Each ward had terrific leaders who sacrificed a lot of time and effort and who were prepared and lead so well.  Of course there were some problems here and there but for the most part it was smooth.  Our stake leaders too were amazing. It was such a privilege for me to be there with them.  Pres. Volk said we had assembled the dream team and he was right. Never have I laughed so hard or so much than with those dear sisters.  Besides the fun though they each are faithful and strong and the conversations we had and the work we did will always be in my heart. It was such a treat to get to know each of them better. 

Our YCL's have been trained for 9 months on how to be leaders and they stepped up to the plate and did an incredible job.  They bore testimony, lead by example, organized, worried, helped, loved, laughed, prayed for and taught their girls. This week they were not just young women, they were leaders.  I loved watching them and I know their influence was felt and made a difference in the lives of the younger girls.

We had a beautiful YCL lead devotional and a fun wedding devotional. 

I personally had several sweet experiences that made my heart fill with gratitude for my Heavenly Father and the help He gives me.  One was how I was unbothered by the heat.  A blessing from above.  Another thing is I am not a night owl, nor am I a high energy person.  However all week I stayed up very late, was very busy all day, got up very early and I felt great.  I know I was sustained and enabled to do that which the Lord has called me to do.  I know it.  On the way home it hit me though, the work was done and I was on my own.  I had to pull over on my way home and nap because I couldn't safely drive.  Then when we got home I napped again. 

I was asked to speak a few times and prepared.  Those went well and I was really happy for the inspiration and guidance I received.  I often pray with an apology, I am sorry for my weakness and that I am not all I should be but since I am who you have (for now) please bless me.  I never want to miss out on a spiritual experience for one of the young women, or miss the chance to lift and help a leader because of my flaws and shortcomings.  So I am ever grateful when things go well. Then there were a couple of surprise talks to give and I was given the words to say. I am so humbled to be an instrument in His hand, and so thankful for His enabling, sustaining, guidance.

We had a gorgeous hike.  We had the chance to be addressed by Elder Lansing of the quorum of the 70. We had wonderful, fun crafts and skits.

I shared time and stories with the elect.  Truly faithful, Christ-like, consecrated people and I came away better for it.  I know the power of the Atonement better.  I saw it in action this week and this weekend.  It changes people for good.  The atonement is absolutely necessary for our progression and happiness and how happy I am for that blessing.  The unmerited love and support and example of Christ.  Words are inadequate for the feelings of my heart. 

So the fun is done but hopefully the memories will last. Hopefully the girls felt the Spirit and were strengthened.  I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment