Sunday, June 16, 2013

discipleship

This morning Hannah, Ethan and I went to stake conference.  It was good.  We were a little wiggly and a little tired. The best part was after when we went to the relief society room to watch Randy and Meredith be confirmed.  The place was standing room only and the experience so sweet, so sacred. I am really touched by their humility and willingness to follow what God wants for their lives.  Randy, formerly a Lutheran pastor and Meredith an Episcopalian priest, clearly spent their entire lives serving God, and getting to know Him, being His hands and His voice.  When they heard the whispering of the Spirit they followed and made tremendous changes in their lives. They left their former faiths, their vocations to serve him as ministers,and all they thought was true to add to that foundation the fullness of the gospel.
When you serve there is great joy in that service.  Great happiness comes from doing what the Lord wants and in helping others.  Certainly it is not, at least not in the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, sought after, and is most often felt ill deserved as we have opportunity to serve in leadership callings.  None the less with that service comes a measure of gratitude and respect from those you serve.  Your voice and opinion carry with it some weight.  It is a huge responsibility and at the same time it feels good.  It makes you feel useful and trusted.  What impresses me most about Randy and Meredith is that they joyfully and humbly left all that to be the newest, freshly baptized members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Of course it doesn't matter if you are serving as the stake YW president, as a mother and help-meet in your home, as the ward librarian, or the person in charge of printing the program on Sunday (a calling I hope to have some day) all that matters is that we willingly give all that we have, our time and talents and whole heart in faithful discipleship.
I know I was blessed and strengthened today as I was privileged to witness their confirmation.  Judging from the moist eyes and happy hugs around me I suspect we all were.  I am grateful for God's great love for us.  Today I am also grateful for the wonderful example shown me of hearing and doing His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment