Thursday, June 14, 2018

$

Grace is babysitting Finley today and tomorrow.  After that she will have earned enough money for her watch.  She is tenacious when she wants something.  Personally I don't see any value in her having an apple watch, and I think she won't enjoy it very much, but she has been working and saving and selling things to get it so she will and I think "good for her".  If you want to work for something that is awesome!

I hope Ethan is having a fun trip.  Our open house is Saturday, and he returns on Saturday.  Luckily our open house is in the morning.  I had visions of having to be out of the house when we picked him up.  He will be stinky.  Then we would have had to have him walk through a car wash or something to get clean enough to stand his smell while we were out.

We met yesterday with Jon.  For 2 hours.  House stuff is never ever fun.  Jon's a friend, so that was nice.  Rob and I rarely agree on finance stuff, which makes it a little tricky.  We came from very different fiscal backgrounds.  My parents are immigrants, and my dad, although one of the smartest guys I know, chose to be a teacher...which doesn't make one rich.  We lived in a modest home, and had a lot of kids.  Actually I didn't really know this at the time. I thought our house was great and it was bigger than a lot of my friends homes.  We always had what we needed and we went camping every year and went to SF several times a year.  It was a great childhood.  (which just goes to show you that $ doesn't mean much to kids, as long as their needs are being met).  Anyway, Rob is an only child, with two working parents, and he comes from a family who are not rich but who have had financial success for generations. I would say we were both squarely in the middle class range, but he comes from upper and I from lower.  When we got married we had some conversations about money and knew that we felt differently about it.  At that time we agreed that he would take the lead.  For a long time that meant he paid the bills too.  The last decade or so I have paid the bills but he still takes the lead.  There have been some losses, some gains, some choices that ended up great and others not so great.  I think this is typical.  I guess.  Fortunately he has a great job and we have been able to weather the losses just fine.  Usually this is not a big deal in day to day life.  When it comes to large item purchases, like homes and cars and boats and vacations, it comes up.  He almost always thinks we will make more on a sale, and can afford more than I do.  The exception is vacations/family fun, I am not the thrifty one there.  So we had 2 hours marriage counselling/price deciding. At the end of the day we went with his number, which I think is high.  I will be delighted to be wrong, if I am.  If I am not we will drop it quickly and hopefully still make our move time line  There is always a crunch when doing a summer move that is the worst. We want the kids to start school on time.



After that I met Marcy for a really long, really nice lunch where we chatted about all of life.

Today I am meeting Nellie for lunch.  Rob calls it my farewell tour:)

No comments:

Post a Comment