Sunday, July 1, 2012

what a week!

Hannah on a team building element during the COPES course
This is the only picture I got at camp.  It was crazy! I had 0 time to whip out the camera and snap anything.  We went to Camp Snyder in Haymarket VA and I have to say it was, over all, a wonderful wonderful experience.  The girls had a great time and most importantly they felt the spirit and had their testimonies grow.  Camp is such an important experience for these young women.  We had a powerful testimony meeting at the end, I believe that many of our girls not only grow their testimonies at camp but for some of them they can trace the very beginnings of it to their time there.

During our first few days we had the most beautiful weather.  It was cool and sunny.  The last 2 days we had pretty rough weather, it was 100+ degrees w/ high high humidity.  My hair and shirt (and most of the others that I saw) looked like I had stepped out of a shower.  It was crazy.  The craziest was Friday night, we were having our testimony meeting when the ranger came by to tell us a severe storm was heading our way and we had about an hour to secure what we could and to head to the bathhouse.  We closed with a prayer and scrambled to get everything broken down and put away.  It was quite the task.  The girls were calm and quick which was wonderful.  We all went to our assigned shower houses (there were 4 stakes camping that week), a cinder block building, and took refuge.  Then the storm hit.  We did not get a tornado but we got 80 mile an hour winds, with torrential rain.  Tree branches, some tents and anything that was not secure were flying.  We actually had a tree branch break off and like a spear impale one of our tents where is sliced through and jabbed into one of the girls cots.  When the storm had passed, and we were all safe, we gathered again under one of our pavilions and had our singing "pole" time.  The spirit was strong as we were all so grateful, each ward took a turn turning on their lights and singing their practiced hymn.  After our prayer we then had the task of assembling a camp that could be slept in, some bedding and  sleeping bags had to be found and shared.  Some rearranging of tents had to be done, but eventually we had everyone settled, dry and sleeping.  Whew!

The girls got to participate in archery, bb gun shooting, canoeing, paddle boating, swimming, a COPES course,  lots of crafts, golden hours, devotionals, a service project, hiking, hiking hiking, & sweating sweating sweating.  We had a movie night (Tangled), a campfire cook off with a secret ingredient (marshmallow flavored jelly bellys), skits, silly songs, a special visit and devotional by Elder Gerard of the area Seventy, star gazing and many other wonderful activities. 

We had some drama, got very little sleep and spent a lot of time hauling water, gatorade and once popsicles to girls and making them drink.  We had one girl whose aunt died while she was there, one who needed stitches, a few who had heat exhaustion and many bug bites, oh and a snake sighting (as it slithered over a YCL's leg!)

I am so grateful that it's over that it went well and for the sustaining support of the Lord as we worked so hard to have a great program. I could not live my life without Him.  I am grateful for His trust (however misplace I may feel it is at times) and the opportunities I have to serve.
Before and After
Yesterday evening after we were home I got a text from Andrea saying Alec was in a plane crash.  What?!?!?!  I quickly called him and found out that yes he was.  He and 2 friends and one of the friends dad, who is a pilot, went on a hike.  They flew in, did their hiking, and when leaving had a lot of trouble getting altitude.  Soon they were in real trouble and a down draft sent them crashing through the trees.  Alec said the pilot said brace yourself as they went down, rolling the plane twice and eventually coming to a stop upside down.  Thankfully it did not explode.  Alec and one of his friends, I think Nathan, were pretty banged up but mostly okay.  They helped Tol and his dad out of the plane and Alec traiged them.  Tol had a concussion, his dad (thepilot) was a mess though, he had a broken jaw, broken teeth, broken several other body part.  Alec and Nathan were able to give them priesthood blessings.  He said just after they were done that help began to arrive.  They cleared part of the forest so a rescue helo could land and take out the seriously injured guys. 
...I am so grateful for the power of the priesthood. I am so glad my brother is a righteous man who lives his life serving God and that he was worthy and ready to help, I am so glad their lives were spared.  I miss him and my family far away so terribly and look forward to seeing them when ever I can.  I can not imagine the grief that will be ours in the next life if members of our families are missing.  I wish I could go and hug him right now, I had to settle for a long distance "I love you" but I am beyond words grateful that we could do that and that I wasn't left wishing for just one more phone chat.  The Lord spared his life in a miraculous manner, I know he will take advantage of that good gift and continue to serve and love and be an example for good.  I love you little brother.   (this is me crying while I type :,( and smiling because he's okay :)...this life is a very schizophrenic experience isn't it?)

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!That's all I can say.
    Camp sounds both wonderful and scary.
    Oh yes! we are so, so thankful To Heavenly Father that Alec is safe.
    Elder Gerard was the Temple Pres when we worked there. He is great.
    Love you so much and glad you, Han, and the girls were safe too.
    Lots and lots of hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete