Monday, June 10, 2019

21 Years

We couldn't celebrate on the actual day because I was at girls camp and he was in MD on a business trip. Neither of us was upset, we are not the super romantic type.  But I did want to mark the occasion so after we dropped Grace off at her baby sitting job we went to Universal City walk.  I had been but he had not so we thought it would be a fun change.  It's not nearly as fabulous as Disney Springs.  We did look around the chocolate emporium which had beautiful chocolates. We bought a box of voodoo donuts to bring home to the kids.  We looked at stuff and bought a fun pair of Einstein socks for Rob to wear to work.  Then we went to dinner at what we hoped would be the best Mexican restaurant.  We sat on the upstairs patio and it rained which was nice.  It was fun to watch and listen to, and it cooled the air down to a nice temperature. My food was good but Rob didn't like his and the service was pretty dismal.  So that was disappointing.
Rob tweaked his back painting earlier in the day and had taken some flexoril, he was sleepy and grumpy.
I was mad.  He had a conversation with Grace earlier in the day where he told her something about a friend of hers that was very confidential. She wasn't supposed to know so I was upset that he accidentally told. I was also mad because we are getting a dog.  All along we have been united in saying no to a dog.  Then yesterday we were at the pet store buying doggy nail clippers because Grace wants to take over grooming Ziva to make money and they had dog adoptions there.  G and R fell in love with a one year old black lab and they launched a sneak attack.  I said no for a while but felt bad dictating what had to be done.  I didn't want to say over my dead body (although that is what I was thinking) I adamantly said I don't want one and they said they really did. I said that I wasn't going to stop them but I didn't want one.
we look tired
These situations are tricky.  Sometimes people just.want.different.things.  This is often the case with us.  Sometimes we will never sway the other to our p.o.v. and someone has to not have what they want.   The tricky thing is knowing who that should be.

Grace LOVES dogs and in always lobbying for another.  In particular she wants a service dog, or a dog she can train as a service dog.  She is exhaustingly unrelenting in her drive to get a dog.  We have been saying no no no, for many good reason & for a really long time. Rob has, however, always wanted another big dog.  He wants a manly dog to ride in his truck and to go fishing with him.  He's also nervous about intruders and bad guys and likes the idea of the security a big dog offers.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE not having a big shedding dog.  I loved Millie, she was a good dog.  I do not, however, miss her.  At all. I do not miss hair balls everywhere.  I do not miss cleaning nose prints off of window sills or sliding glass door or the bottoms of low windows.  I do not miss shedding, stains on the walls, a huge dog walking around the house.  I do not want to walk two dogs.  I do not want the vet bills and life costs of having two dogs.  I am looking forward to Ziva's perfectly timed death a few years after Grace goes to college and being dogless.  I do not want a fence around the yard, to have to find pet sitters for 3 animals, or a panting dog face following me around.  I like dogs, a lot actually, but I do not want another. 

And therein lies our problem.  I could put my foot down but is that the right thing to dictate.  They could just go and get one. Either way someone is unhappy. So I was mad that he flopped sides. I want to be the one who gets what she wants. :(
cat antics, he took advantage of a new view point since we were painting and moved furniture to the middle of the room
Speaking of getting what they want, we already have a black cat walking around.  Leaving a wake of mess behing him....didn't they already get what they wanted?

Being married is sometimes hard.  I know I'm a hard wife to have too so there is that. 

The only good thing about getting another dog is that Grace will be happy.  Rob will be happy and he promised to mop the floor once a week for the rest of eternity so that will be nice. And, good news, by the time we celebrate another 21 years the dog will be long gone, so there is that.

Today Rob, Brad, Doug and Adam sang in sacrament meeting.  They did a really nice job. I was proud of Rob and wished that I could record it.


No comments:

Post a Comment