Sunday, July 3, 2016

My Mom

Today after church we are going to mom and dad's house for a birthday celebration. Mom and Ethan and Kelly all share a birthday but this party is for Mama.
My mom is a very admirable woman. She is smart and kind. She is wise and helpful and has many talents. She can sew and cook, organize and decorate, she's an inspiring and interesting teacher. She has studied the scriptures her whole life and strives to emulate the Savior. She is charitable and nurturing. She's a good swimmer and dancer and in her youth was adventurous and graceful.  She loves to read, watch movies, go out to lunch and visit with friends. Many people seek her counsel and friendship, enjoy her natural and entertaining story telling and her happy laugh; and fall prey to her ruthless game playing skills. Seriously she always win!
My sisters and brothers and our 20 combined children and 3 grand children (so far) are blessed to have her as the matriach of our family.
Growing up with mom as my mom was a blessing. She taught us many things from how to read, clean the kitchen and play the piano to how to set up a tent (which she did not by example but by giving us the opportunity) and how to serve others (by example and by taking us with her on her many missions of mercy and help).

She and Dad always went to the temple and they made a well worn path for us to follow.
Some fun memories:
When dad took the boys on the annual fathers and sons outing we would always go on a date. Also we'd have a sleep over in her bed, which was so much fun!

When I was a junior in high school and was going to go to my first prom I wanted a Gunnie Sax dress. We went to the outlet and she bought me one but it wasn't just right so I drew her a picture and she altered it and sewed it up to be brand new! I loved it!

Every summer mom (and dad) would take us beach camping. Often she would go with a tiny baby or an active toddler to keep an eye on. I'm sure it wasn't much of a vacation for her but we loved it!

When I was older and would come home from a date she always waited up to hear about my evening, same for any event I went to. 

At family home evening each week mom would sit at the piano and play hymns for us to sing to. She is a good pianist and we all learned the hymns of Zion at her knee.

When I had my own children she was always such a sweet and fun grandma. She often baby sat the girls and they loved to play dress up or with her Barbie collection.
We would often go to mcdonalds together or the park. 

Now we talk on the phone and spend time together when we can. She is still so encouraging and fun to be with. 

I am a lucky daughter to have such an amazing mom.

Happy Birthday (last week :))

No comments:

Post a Comment