Saturday, September 23, 2017

the weekend, ahhh

This morning I slept as long as I wanted, which turned out to be until 7:45.  It was great.  Last night Rob and I went out to dinner with Alec & Kelly, Kyle & Kristi, Norm & Peg and Devin.  They are here because Kristi and Kelly's dad died and the funeral is today.  We had a really fun visit.  It goes without saying that I always wish we lived closer to family.  As that is not an option I am grateful when we get to be together.  I had not seen the Beria's in a long time and it was fun to catch up.  
It was a busy and productive week for me.  I enjoyed seminary a lot but when Karen called me on Thursday and said she would be back at it on Monday I rejoiced!  
So, as soon as I was awake I grabbed my laptop and went to start preparing for my lesson on Sunday for the Laurels.  Of course the Facebook tab caught my eye so I went there first and ended up getting sucked into an article a friend posted.  It was about one woman's journey to God and finding faith.  It was very well written and moving.  One idea really stood out to me and I loved how she put this into words. She was talking about obedience, and specifically in her case of choosing not to act on her feelings of same sex attraction.
"In the end, it came down to trust. I knew Jesus was worthy of trust, because he had made a greater sacrifice. He had left the bliss, the comfort, the joy of loving and being perfectly loved, to live a sorrowful life on earth. He took the pain and shame of a criminal’s death and suffered the Father’s rejection, all so I could be welcomed. Who could be more deserving of trust?
The obedience of faith only works when it’s rooted in a person, not a rule. Imposed on its own, a rule invites us to sit in judgment, weighing its reasonableness. But a rule flowing from relationship smoothes the way for faithful obedience. When a child doesn’t understand her mother’s command, the mother’s character plays a strong role in what happens next. A cruel, capricious mother is likely to meet resistance. But an affectionate, nurturing mother inspires trust, because you know she’s on your side, profoundly."
 Rachel Gilson
CHRISTIANITYTODAY
I loved her use of the word trust.  It is very powerful.  I have often thought about this idea, of believing Jesus Christ.  Believing that He is who He says He is and that He will do what He said He would do.  The idea of giving my will to Him.  The idea that He knows better and that when things in my life don't look the way I want them to, for whatever reason, that it's okay and He has a better plan. I love the label TRUST for that.  I do trust Him, and will follow Him and do love Him.  
It was a nice way to start the day.
and now on to my lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment