Friday, February 17, 2017

raining

 It's raining pretty hard today.  Here's the view out the sunroof of the flex while E and I wait in line to get french fries at Carl's Jr.  Look at those big drops.

Sadly that meant raining day schedule at school.  I worked all week, and I work the beginning of next week, in the same class.  A second grade class at Anaverde Hills. I like the school, it has a really nice campus and the kids wear uniforms.  It's a little farther from our house, which Grace hates because she has to wait a long time to be picked up. It's been pretty okay.  Some of the kids are pretty cute.

I am looking for something else to do as a part time job.  I don't love teaching. It's ironic that I ever got into teaching in the first place.  It was always top of my list of jobs I did not want, growing up and as an adult.  When the girls were little I was going to school at AVCC and I liked that a lot but I wasn't really sure what I was going to be.  One night Joyce came over and we had a chat.  She knew things were not good in Mark and my marriage and she wanted to help me finish up school.  This was the single nicest thing anyone has done for me.  Without her support I don't know how I would have finished and I have always been so grateful.  Anyway she suggested that teaching would be good, especially for a mom so there you go.  Actually in CA, at that time anyway I don't know if it's still the same, there was no undergrad degree in education (for which I will ever be grateful) so I got a degree in Social Science. And we ended up divorced. And I ended up working on base, which I liked.  Then one day, literally out of the blue, I got a phone call from a school principal.  CA had just mandated that grades K-2 have only 20 kids per classroom and schools were scrambling, tons of teachers were hired, untrained and uncredentialed.  My friend Beth, who was a teacher, told her principal to call me and she did.  She called my work phone and asked if I'd like to teach.  Even though I actually liked my job, and actually didn't want to teach, I did want to have a schedule that matched the girls and I felt inspired to say yes.  So into the classroom I went, and back for my 5th year of college, and I met Ellen who introduced me to Rob (which got me out of the classroom and out of CA!....but now I am back:( ) and the rest is history.  I completed my credential and taught for 3 years. Since that time it's been a convenient way to make a little money, subbing that is.  And thru the years there has always been a desire for a little more $.  Sometimes it was for Christmas gifts, or a trip, or a wedding.  Now that we are back in CA, and living in a pretty pricey home it's for bills.  Things are expensive here.  We are blessed beyond measure with great means, we just also spend a lot although that is something we've really been putting a concerted effort at changing. And subbing now doesn't feel like something I am doing for some extra "disney dollars" but something I need to do to help with our financial goals...and seriously I can not.  I don't really passionately hate it but I kind of hate it. So hopefully something else will work out.  And in the mean time I am grateful to be able to work, even if it's not something I love.  So yay, 2nd grade.  Two weeks.  (shaking head).  If I did have to teach I would definitely teach older kids.  Middle school days usually are awesome. (relatively speaking...not awesome like going to the beach awesome, or staying home awesome, but awesome enough)
Travis, Garrett, Preston, Jayce and David
 Our youth activity was "heart attacking" people.  The kids came over and made huge hearts and then divided into groups and went to different homes and taped them to garages and front doors.  I know for sure that a couple of the homes they visited were really glad.

Then they came back for treats and talking.  Weirdly I didn't take any pictures of my own kids:)
Kayla, Emily, Heather and Shelby

Patty and Rachel and Chloe
Yesterday Hannah and Madi and Sarah went hiking, they took Z.  Madi and Hannah came back here after and ate dinner with us, then made cookies and sang loudly to Moana.  It was a lot of fun! Hannah got her track assignment for BYU-I.  She is going fall, spring.  Which is great because she will miss the coldest, Siberian like, months.   Kenz got fall/winter.  So they will be fall roommates!

So happy it's Friday.  And a three day weekend!!  Whoo hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment